leather labelling any ideas please ?

katherinelc

Sep 1, 2013
I have 2 sofas which i bought from a very reputable local furniture shop and at the same time i bought a 5 year warranty. In may when i had had them 18 months i called the warranty company as the arm had start to crack and peel, they refused to repair it saying it was wear and tear, after 18 months !!! I have no small children or dogs jumping on the furniture lol. The shop also said wear and tear so i contacted the furniture ombudsman who said although they understand that i would expect the sofas to last longer its up to me to prove there is a fault !! I contacted a local leather repairer who asked me to send him pics of the damage and then got back to me saying they arent real leather they are probably bonded leather. I was sold them as leather, it also says covering - leather on the product label and i was sold a warranty for leather furniture. Does anyone know if the labelling should say that it is bonded leather im hoping it should be so i can make a claim for misrepresentation, thanks

Last edited:

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
To be honest I'm not sure what bonded leather is but I would suggest asking for a written report and send it off to the shop saying you intend to take legal action under the Sale of Goods Act which says goods must be as described.

katherinelc

Sep 1, 2013
Apparently bonded leather is scraps or bits of leather put together with a vinyl or laminated surface on top there are regulations of percentages and the thickness of the top coat for it to be classed as bonded leather is not as durable or long lasting as leather so there is no way i would have bothered if i had known, i will try that and see how i get on thanks.