issues with 3's repair centre

unclemeat72

Sep 25, 2013
My mobile phone developed a problem after 3 months, the screen just went blank one day, i contacted 3 and they transferred me to what i presumed to be Samsung, however it turns out that it was a repair center who do repairs for 3 not Samsung themselves. However they sent me a prepaid bag (plastic)with a cardboard box covered in the samsung logo and some bubble wrap, included with instructions for packaging. In the 2 days while waiting for the packaging to arrive im thinking about my last issue several years ago when tesco mobile claimed that when my phone stopped charging it could of only have been due to ill treatment of the item, several phone calls, emails and a letter later and i was still without a working phone, i felt stuffed...i also came across stories on the net of customers who were unsatisfied with the service they received from the various repair centers, mobile providers and royal mail regarding warranty issues

Now this may seem a strange thing to do but urged on by my findings online before packaging the phone i decided to damage and photograph some of the cardboard box for the phone they provided, not enough to jeopardize the phone inside during transit but enough to seem that the phone may have had a rough ride in the post. I knew that i was in for a hefty repair bill as the screen wasn't working and after reading various articles on the net i knew there was not much hope in getting it repaired under warranty.
So off in the pre paid registered mail bag it goes and into the post.

Two days later i receive the call telling me the phone has a damaged screen and i need to pay £125 for repair. Before packaging I checked really well and there wasn't any visible damage to the screen or case so although im surprised to hear there is a visible crack, its what Im expecting.
I comment that maybe it could have been damaged in the post...."No that's not possible" was the response, as company policy states that if any packaging arrives to the service center damaged then a report is filed and the package kept along with being photographed to back up any claims from royal mail. "This is the company policy" im told again.
"So there is no way that it could have got damaged in the post?" i ask again, "not a chance" was the response. I asked whether they still had my packaging. No it would have gone for recycling i was told.
I know 100% that when they opened the plastic bag they would have been faced with a battered cardboard phone box, however they claim no damage was present to the packaging so no report filed. A huge hole and lies in the company policy i feel.
I ask to speak to a manager and after several minutes im connected to a team leader or supervisor, she is silent and i have to tell her the story of my phone and how shocked i am at there now being a visible crack on the screen, she then proceeds to tell me about company policy etc etc etc. i then tell her that i purposely damaged the phone packaging before mailing because i felt prior to posting that i was gonna get stuffed anyway like so many others so had nothing to lose. She was very quiet and then when i told her i had photographed the box she said she would need to see all the evidence before commenting. I asked what all the evidence was and she said the photograph and the packaging. So you still have my packaging i asked, No it would have been thrown away she replied.
So she wouldn't be able to see the packaging which meant it could go no further and she couldn't or wouldn't comment on the matter other than to ask rather abruptly what outcome i expected. I told her that i knew there was no point arguing over wether i was having to pay for my repair but i wanted anexplanation as to why the returns department are not following company policy, NO COMMENT....
Anyone had similar experiances or advice????

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Did you not photograph the phone before you sent it off? Although your action has caught them out, I fear that by damaging the box you have left yourself wide open to blame for the damage.

unclemeat72

Sep 25, 2013
I did photograph the phone and the box too. Curiosity made me damage the cardboard packaging, i always knew id get stuffed by them so didnt have anythig to lose in my mind.i dont really know where to take this but id still like an explanation as to why their returns policy isnt being followed, as stated i do have photos of damaged packaging. Anyone know if its worth pursueing?

sevenseasspray

Oct 11, 2013
Hi. I have issues with the EE repair centre in Kent. They have claimed that I am out of warranty because I have damaged my phone by water ingress. I know that this claim is wrong because I have taken great care of my Galaxy and it hasn't been near water. I wonder if this is the same repair centre? Looking at forums and Twitter it seems that we are not alone with this problem.

unclemeat72

Sep 25, 2013
I think its a general thing personally, the last thing they wanna do is pay out if they can get away with it. i know i was conned by them but also knew there was very little i could do about it, hands tied..
i was hoping for some advice off someone on here but alas nothing.
im still working on this and all i really want is an answer but i guess they are not gonna admit their own failings really.
good luck dude