orange taking payment after contract cancelled

rageface

Sep 30, 2013
I'm just looking for a bit of clarification really, since the customer service line only confused me more.
I had a contract that aS due to expire 21st July however they took another payment out on the 21st August, after calling cuts service, they said I had to give 30 days notice, this was on the 22nd of August, I said to cancel my contact, then the guy suggested switching my number to a pay and go sim. He said once I received the sim, to swap it for my old one before the next bill date of 21st Sept. When I tried to do this, following the instructions the PAYG sim came with it registered under a new mobile number online. Deciding that this aS too much hassle I decided to wait untill my phone stopped working over the next few days and just go with another network, since the guy had told me thAt the contract would be cancelled by the next payment date. But my phone was still working days later. I looked online and the bill date was some time in October so I assumed this was the date my contract would stop. But I received a notice on the 23rd September. Saying I owe them another month's payment, after I cancelled the direct debit following my contact with customer services last month.

Calling them again today, they tell me I have to register the new sim card on the phone(nothing was said about this in the instructions it cAme with) and that the contract would not be cancelled until I did so. So I have registers the new card to the same number (haven't swapped over in phone yet) but I'm planning on throwing it in the bin.

Can anyone tell me if my contact has actually been cancelled and if I have to pay this month's bill if there has been 30 days since the 22nd August and the next payment date of 21st September.

Orange network sucks for making this so complicated, all I wanted was a 24 month contract to end at the end of the 24th month.

Please help.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi,
A 24 month contract can last 10 years if you want it to. 24 months is just the minimum term of the contract, if you don't cancel, it keeps going.
When you cancel - you give 30 days notice and pay the final payment (as a contract is post-pay).

Example: (with 28th being bill date)- 1st Sep you give your 30 day notice. 28th sep you get your sep bill. However as you've given notice after the bill date, you'll also get a bill on 28th oct.

As for the requirement to register a PAYG sim over the phone in order to cancel a contract - what a load of tosh.
I personally can't figure out the situation with regards to the new sim & your old sim, but either way, your contract is cancelled when you provide your 30 day notice to the network.

rageface

Sep 30, 2013
Thanks. I've just payed the bill and swapped to pay as you go with giffgaff. Hopefully no more hassle from orange.