Taxi not as described/not fit for purpose

AbuHafsah

Nov 21, 2013
A Taxi vehicle was offered by a Taxi Dealer in london for the purpose of using it as a taxi in Manchester. Gave me 2 choices.

1. Buy it as a trade sale for 16000 as it is, without any MOT, Service, Warrantee etc or,

2. Buy for 19500 which includes all necessary work that it may need doing for it to work as a taxi, Mot, service, warrantee etc etc.

I chose option 2.

Picked it up last Tuesday 12 th Nov, they said all work is done, issued me with MOT certificate, and said the cab is ready to be used as a Manchester taxi.

We paid. And were told the Warrantee will come through the post.

Fri 15th we presented the vehicle to Manchester council for approval. They found 3 major faults relating to the Mot (one of which relates to 2 electric footsteps that are used for disability access) and a fault with the intercom system which is vital to use the cab as it it just not possible to communicate with the customer without it.

So a total of 4 faults that should have not existed as i paid 3500 extra for peace of mind and i dont understand how they issued me with an Mot certificate with some of the faults relating to the track rod end.

The cab failed and i took the cab to my local approved dealership who said he will liaise with the London branch to see if they will pay for the repairs. They responded on Tuesday that they will pay only for the 2 minor faults. As for the Disability ramp and intercom then we should go through their warrantee. (Although these things should have been perfect before purchase as I picked option 2)

Warrantee dept refused a payout as they said that they dont cover the footsteps, as for the intercom they said that the cab has only driven 200 miles since purchase (distance from london to Mcr) therefore indicating pre existing problem and that I need to go back to sales dept.

In all this time I am losing days off work and facing a lot of stress as i know that the repair/replacement of the footstep and intercom is around 2500 pounds.

Has there a case of negligence as:

Item was not as described and,
Item was not fit for purpose?

Josef

Nov 29, 2021
I don't know why, but many people don't drive other alternatives to taxis. I understand that hiring a driver with a car sounds expensive, but sometimes it is much cheaper. And this way you can get to absolutely any address in comfort. I often use https://lbtravel.co.uk/category/fleet/maybach/ and have never been let down by this service. So I recommend you give it a try!