SCS lazy boy sofa

Sarah56

Jan 27, 2014
Two years ago we got a lazy boy sofa and recliner rocker from SCS we paid 1,000 deposit and the rest we took on HP 4,563 in total. Beginning of the new year I noticed that one of the reclining sofas back cushion ( where no one sits) had started to peel like shedding a skin, today I noticed that the rocker recliner arm was doing the same. Lazy boy state that they give u a ten year guarantee but want a 60.00 call out fee, SCS dont want to know as it is out of the warranty period. Looks very unsightly and it looks like it is some sort of coating on the leather . Any info or advice as to what to do next would be gratefully appreciated as I feel that after two years this should not of happened. It has been well looked after and cleaned regularly in accordance with their instructions. Many thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
What's the £60 for? Do they refund it if they agree the goods are substandard? It is covered by the Sale of Goods Act and at that price the goods shoud be lasting much longer than 2 years. Go back to SCS and tell them you require repair under SOGA, not the warranty and it is their responsibilty to sort it out!

Sarah56

Jan 27, 2014
It's apparently a call out fee that they charge and no don't refund it. I have had an independent upholsterer out today who has informed me that the problem is an inherent manufacturing problem, but ScS do not want to know. Have contacted them again today quoting sale of goods act am awaiting their reply. thank you for your reply.

Sarah56

Jan 27, 2014
That's exactly what I intend to do, though don't have a clue how to go about it. upholster who came out today also works on behalf of trading standards.

ronjtaylor

Jul 14, 2015
La-Z-Boy Sofa

We called SCS Norwich this morning and asked to speak to the manager, after explaining to the lady who answered the phone our problems, we were told by the lady that the manager would phone us back directly (it is now 2 hours later and he has not called). She advised that we should leave a revue on 'Trustpilot' and it would then be looked into, this is a peculiar way to deal with customer complaints, but here it is.
We purchased a recliner leather corner unit with a separate recliner chair to match which cost £4,169, as we had two La-Z-Boy sofas for over 20 years with no problems. As we are retired we wanted them to see us out. The salesman said it was best to take out Guardsman Insurance as it covered everything, this we did. When it was delivered the corner unit was 2 inches lower then the other units so had to be replaced. Within the year the leather started to flake off the size of a 50p, reporting it to SCS they said because we took out Guardsman it had to go through Guardsman. Guardsman called and said the back would be replaced, after phoning them many, many times they called again, we thought to replace the back but it was to do a water test, this made the spot into a 6 inch large patch. They then agreed they would replace the back as it was a manufacturers fault. We then found two months later they had not even ordered the back. SCS were informed and we claimed back the fee paid to Guardsman and paid La-Z-Boy service to call out, this cost us £60. They called and agreed it was a manufacturers fault and ordered the back. We have now had two call outs and both replacement parts have the wrong fittings. These replacements have taken 12 weeks each. As Guardsman had not ordered anything six months ago I phoned SCS and asked to them before last Christmas to part exchange the units and they said they do not take items back. We are being passed from pillar to post and SCS do not want to know. Office of Fair Trading are our next step as we now are asking for the La-Z-Boy items to be collected and a full refund on the items delivered. I am at a stage when the items will be loaded on a van and placed outside SCS in Norwich with a notice of the way we have been treated and I will take the time to sit on the chair so it is not moved by them and if any one asked I will explain what SCS are like to deal with.
We have now been advised by Office of Fair Trading (Citizens Advice) that under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 SCS are responsible and a full refund should be given as the units are 'Not Satisfactory Quality' .
I am fuming with SCS because at the tears my wife has shed this morning because again it was the wrong fitting sent. I am not a complainer just a pensioner who is at his wits end. The La-Z-Boy items have been taken apart and are now in our hall and awaiting collection by SCS with a full refund of £4,169 plus the £60 paid to La-Z-Boy to call out, that is a total of £4,229.
It is now Tuesday 7th July, five days since we were promised a call back from the Norwich SCS manager, still no call or recorded message, the suite is in our way we want it out of the house.
At last, 7 days after being promised a phone call straight back, we have a call from the Norwich SCS manager, to inform us that La-Z-Boy will take a further 12 wks but will replace the faulty chair. But this is not what we want now, as we have no faith in either La-Z-Boy or SCS. Enough is enough we want the complete units collected and refunded. The service we have received has been disgusting and is making my wife ill, we require the units out of our house immediately.
Bring back good old fashioned service.

MrEgg

Sep 22, 2015
Hi
I have an identical problem with a Laz-y-boy Yorker finished in Grade B leather
SCS want me to pay for an independent report - but I cant find someone.

This is what has happened to my sofa

This is in the corner section where the top cushion meets the seating cushion.
I first noticed it late June - sofa Purchased Aug 2012 & was delievered end of Nov/Early Dec
I also have it part financed & today have raised the issue with the Financial Ombudsman

ronjtaylor

Jul 14, 2015
We did not have any joy. Laz-Z-Boy sent the wrong parts twice and after loads of phone calls and over a year later SCS took it back but deducted £1,600 for usage. We were so fed up with the aggravation it caused us we have put it down as a very bad experience. We would never get a Laz-Z-Boy or buy from SCS again.

Last edited:

stuart1875

Sep 25, 2015
There seems to be a lot of chatter regarding these sofa's which indicates that there is a major problem with these.

After a few months they replaced a whole section of my sofa due to problems with the leather.

It is now 2 years old and the leather is now peeling. SCS took my details and I was called and they charged me £60 to send out someone to inspect it who said that the whole section of the sofa will need to be replaced. However, this is now out of warranty and who is going to pay?

Watch this space!!

nothingbutepic

Oct 14, 2015
England
AAAH, it is surprising I bought leather chesterfield sofas from authentic furniture, they are in Derby-shire
Well believe me, my sofas are quite perfect till today, it is been more than 2 years
they are a little high in price, but no compromise to quality.

debbierigby

Aug 18, 2020
I bought two chairs and a small sofa at SCS in November 2018. Just a month after the 12 month warranty expired I noticed one of the chairs was sagging quite badly at the back of the seat. In January a technician was sent out which I had to pay £60 for (non refundable) All he did was to stuff some additional foam into the seat. After a couple of months it was just as bad, and the second chair, a recliner had gone the same way. I have had months of emailing to and fro, and eventually a technician came out and took photos. He said his manager would call us once the report was looked at. Again I had to email several times before finally being told they would replace the padding in both seats as a good will gesture. The parts were ordered and they said 6-8 weeks. Then I got a text saying it would in fact be October before the parts arrive. So I have had to wait over three months. Meanwhile the chairs are uncomfortable. I only bought Lay-Z-Boy because it was meant to be really good for those with back problems.

Reactions: Tony

jacknight01

Oct 5, 2021
United Kingdom
Lot's of companies are doing like this shit. I am against this type of harassment to the customers. If company says before buying a product that we will pay you in the warranty period. Then why they have taken a charges from you for the repair. Company should have to pay you the repair amount as legal terms and conditons.