bag not fit for purpose

nickylaz16

Jan 5, 2009
I need a little bit of consumer advice. My mum bought me a Radley laptopcase from a shop in our local area for Christmas, when she purchased it theydid tell her they do not give refunds but they also told her it would fit a15" laptop. After unwrapping it on christmas day i tried to put my laptop inthe case only to discover it does not fit. I have read up about statutoryrights which clearly states that you can ask for a refund if the item is notfit for purpose. In my opinion the case is not fit for purpose as the laptopdoes not fit inside. My parents have now tried to return the case only to be told that they willnot be able to get a refund and that it is their word against the shopsabout them saying that the laptop would fit. Would you be able to tell me in the eyes of the law where do we now stand.
Many thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Contractual Condition

Hi Nicky,

You made it in the end. This is fairly straightforward, although difficult to prove.

By telling your mother that it would fit a 15" laptop they made this a contractual condition i.e. she went ahead with the purchase based on the information provided. As it does not fit a 15" laptop the case is not fit for the purpose that was specified.

Have a look at this:

Contractual terms and conditions | Consumer Information

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Tony

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
To answer the second part, the law is on your side. I would escalate this using their complaints procedure and see what happens.

Tony