AOL talk talk Internet cut off

Patrick Smythe

Feb 12, 2014
Two weeks ago I contacted AOL Broadband whom I have been with since 1998, to discuss upgrading to a fibre optic supply and inclusive landline package with Talk Talk. On returning home that evening I found my AOL broadband had stopped. Several hours of calling the help teams in India and South Africa, I was told there was a bar on the account due to billing. Billing said ' there is no problem with your account it’s paid every month by direct debit and we have received the payment ok'. Technical support were stumped and said it would take at least 48 hours to resolve, meanwhile I have no internet service! 3 days later now Saturday I still have no service; I am now getting really annoyed so ask for my Mac code. Eventually I get through to a customer service manager, he can’t understand why my internet has stopped other than to say it has a bar, but the bar has been lifted. He will chase up technical support, but they don’t work weekends. On the Sunday my internet starts again. The customer service manager phones me at home and even he is surprised why it has started again, but says the bar has now been lifted. I have in the meanwhile officially made two complaints. He says do I still want to leave AOL and not take up the TalkTalk/Aol package. If I stay with them he will offer me free line rental for 12 months, unlimited anytime calls and unlimited broadband download. PLUS until the migration to Talk Talk in approx two weeks AOL broadband fees will be waived. I agree. I ask for a letter of confirmation. This arrives on 4th February; the letter confirms that my AOL Broadband will continue up to migration on 18th February when the Talk Talk engineer will be at my house. (The service may be down for a couple of hours). I agree, on 11th February a week before the migration, my broadband has stopped!
Back on the phone to India, now it appears that because I am moving to Talk Talk, Aol Broadband has stopped my service. I quote the letter which states provision of service up to migration date, and require AOL to reconnect my internet. I am told this can’t be done (isn’t it just a flick of a switch somewhere?), it will take 2 weeks to reconnect me to AOL broadband.I tell them the migration date is only one week away! I log another complaint.
Eventually I get through to another customer service manager. Repeat the whole story. Net result –we cant connect you back to the internet. They don’t know why the cut off and migration date is one week apart! But Offered the same discounts on Talk Talk as previously given, including now, 1 months free line rental of £15.40. What do you think my reply was? I start saying I am going to report this to Ofcom/Telecom, only to be told that if that was the case they would end the phone call as I am not accepting their resolution. I am told it will go to CEO, for a resolution. I tell them the only resolution I will accept is for the Talk Talk engineer to be rescheduled to my house within the next 48hrs and get me online sooner rather than a week away.
What are my options please!
Be warned every one if you consider upgrading your package with AOL/Talk Talk. I wish I had gone with BT Infinity now.