Bathroom Installers Poor Work needs redoing

jono2014

Feb 12, 2014
I am a disabled person and due to a water leak my toilet was cut off and part of the floor collapsed. A Local firm who had done my boiler 18mths earlier came round to turn off the water.

The insurance Co authorised all work and said just get one company in and get one estimate but to have the work started asap.

The local firm said they had the contractors and availability to start work the next day on replacing the floor and bathroom.

I agreed as with my disability and young son and pets etc going to a hotel even in the short term would have been difficult.

Well to sum up, by the 6th day I finally got an invoice £14,400 inc Vat. This was also the first time i got a list of works they planned to conduct.

I was shocked and sent it onto my insurance Co, they were also shocked.

After 15 days of their sub contractors on site I have been left with a sloping floor 2 inches higher than the one replaced. No treatment done on walls before plastering, walls were not dry when they painted and now they are peeling. Broken Bath panel, wobbling and leaking sink and pedestal, uneven rad, wonky toilet which is not sealed. Bowed shower-wall and with chips in it. There is also a halogen light that is one inch above my head in shower, I can only shower due to my disability. One builder said the pipes in the room have not been cross bonded or earthed I think. I have a hole in render outside and there are 30+ items of snagging in a bathroom 1.8 x 2.1m

I complained the night they said they had finished as was shocked when they said they were done. I then sent a snagging list.

Meanwhile the insurance co wrote the firms prices were grossly overstated.

I have asked for a breakdown of the works and labour costs but they have refused just stating £7,000 plus vat for labour, they say materials cost £3400+VAT. In a breakdown they sent the insurance Co I noticed they had charged for two heating engineers for 14 days, only one ever was here and not everyday. only 11 days.

When I had a chance after receiving their invoice the main contractor does not offer bathroom installations as part of their skills or services. I have asked for evidence of the skilled trades used in the bathroom and have been ignored.

The snagging list has been expanded by two other builders i got to assess the work, they both said all of the bathroom needs redoing properly including plastering and wall treatments.

I have offered the company their materials costs £1,700 inc Vat based on B&Q and Wickes Prices. They have not responded and they cancelled when they were meant to come in and make good. But they wanted to make good without a builder and in two days, both other builders have said 7-12 days to do properly.

So by offering their material costs but not labour is this fair? I have complained to trading standards and am awaiting them to come and see it.

Am I right to withhold labour costs because of the very poor workmanship which means I cannot use bathroom and am having to wash at my mothers a mile away.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
The correct and lawful procedure would be to pay him then give him an opportunity to put things right and if he fails to do so, get someone else to put the work right and charge the original builder for the work. That is the offical answer.

If however you want my personal opinion, I would tell him to sing for his money :p

JackRichard

Oct 12, 2021
Ο λαός, αν θέλετε να βρείτε τη λύση όλων των προβλημάτων με τα γεννητικά όργανα, τότε θα σας είναι εξαιρετικά ήθελα να συστήσω να δοκιμάσετε να έρθεις εδώ σε αυτό το site κάντε κλικ σε αυτόν τον σύνδεσμο , όπως ακριβώς εδώ μπορείτε να βρείτε τη λύση σε όλα τα προβλήματα, δοκιμάστε το και εσείς!