I'm new to this and need some help!

Fiona

Jan 5, 2009
On Dec 31st I ordered 40 bottles of champagne from Tesco online as they had a special offer of £11.98 / bottle. I could have gone into the nearest store and got it from them, but I thought it would be easier having it delivered. It is due to be delivered tomorrow evening. However I got a phone call from the warehouse this afternoon saying they had run out and have cancelled the order. I then had an email confirming the cancellation. As you can imagine I was a bit fed up as I have a big birthday coming up and thought I would stock up in time for my party. I told them that had they told me when I placed my order that they may not have any in stock I would have gone to the nearest store and got it there and then. They told me it was in their terms & conditions and that the warehouse only gets the orders 24 hrs in advance and had run out. I then phone my local Tesco and asked if they still had it in stock which they do but the offer has run out and I can now have it for £23.98. Do I have any recourse? They say they haven't debited my credit card.

Forum: Introductions Post

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I am not surprised that you are fed up Fiona, this is pretty poor. You probably don't have any recourse from a legal perspective as it sounds like there had been no "offer and acceptance" from a legal perspective.

However, I am sure that if you were to write a complaint letter to Tesco head office explaining the situation they would probably resolve the situation to your satisfaction. However, this will not help you in the short term. Has anybody got a similar offer?

Best regards,

Tony

Fiona

Jan 5, 2009
I'm new to this and need some help

Thanks for your reply Tony. I guessed there was no recourse but it does frustrate me as all special offers are finished now.
I shall write to them but I don't expect any progress, the machine is too big and there are too many programmed responders in my way!!!

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I wouldn't hold your breath for satisfaction from Tesco, my brother made a similar order and by the time it reached him it had gone up by £80 - again they said their right to change prices from those advertised was in their T&C's, he actually had to lodge a claim in the small claims court to get his money back!!

Sainsbury's do a really nice champagne for around £15 a bottle, try one first, I think you'll be surprised how nice it is for an own brand label.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
That's really frustrating, but I agree with Tony that it's worth a polite offer to customer service setting out why you are so disappointed. I always think it's best to ask for something specific in such letters, rather than just hoping that they will offer you something, so why not ask them to give £10 of extra Tesco points as a gesture of goodwill? You've nothing to lose by asking, and it might work.

Oddbins also seems to be offering some deals on champagne: have a look at their website.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Tesco customer service is normally very good. I brought back some fillet steaks once that were really poor quality - well the empty packet (I was hardly not going to eat them) and they gave me my money back. However, we are talking about Tesco Wine Direct which is probably a completely different set-up, although owned by Tesco.

GG is right you need to ask for something specific. Buy the ones you wanted in store and ask for the difference in price sending the original order details and the receipt from the store to back-up your claim. Don't forget to say how inconvenienced you were and what a loyal customer you are etc.

Otherwise vote on your feet and shop elsewhere Sainsburys or Oddbins. Retailers should not be rewarded for poor service and how difficult can it be to link stock levels with the website.

Let us know how you get on

Tony