Used Car Parts - Out of pocket expenses.

scouseman

Jan 30, 2014
Hi, I wonder if somebody could advise me on the following situation.
I bought a used semi automatic gearbox off ebay, sold with 3 months warranty for £525.
I paid a garage £800 to remove my old gearbox from my car and fit the new gearbox, the problem is the gearbox I bought was faulty, the car was taken to the dealers after the seller confirmed he would cover the £85+vat to get it diagnosed. The gearbox was diagnosed with either faulty sensor (£65 +vat) or faulty actuator (£850 + vat), the seller told me to have the sensor replaced and that he would cover the cost. It turns out now that the actuator faulty.

My question is who is liable for all these costs?
£525 for the gearbox
£800 to fit the gearbox
£85 for the diagnostics
£65 for the sensor
£400 remove the faulty gearbox
£50 to return the faulty gearbox to the seller

Who is liable to pay the £800 to have the faulty gearbox fitted and removed + the costs the seller originally agreed to cover?

That will still leave my car with no gearbox and plenty of expenses

Any advise is most appreciated.

LondonGirl

Mar 21, 2014
London
www.simply-wrong.com
Do you have a copy of the original advertisement from EBay from when you purchased the gearbox? What exactly was the wording of the warranty? Sadly, warranties are often not worth the paper on which they are written, though I hope this proves not to be the case for you.

Google the DSR Hub which may help you, though purchases off EBay are notoriously tricky. I would take the tack of goods having to be fit for purpose which this obviously wasn't.

Sammy80

Mar 26, 2014
I agree with LG start by checking exactly what the warranty says, but as you bought it off eBay, they have their own rules and this product was faulty. Unfortunately you may find you are liable yourself.

LondonGirl

Mar 21, 2014
London
www.simply-wrong.com
I wonder if the OP could confirm whether or not this is the same issue as one posted on another forum where once the car went back for repair it was passed on to a second garage as the original repairer was busy?

It's useful to know just so we know what the current state of play is with this. :D