Insurance, Who do I complain to?

bob.k

Jun 27, 2008
Hi Folks, hope you can help!
We pay a monthly (Direct Debit) payment to cover repairs/service for our double oven.
Early April we had to call out an engineer, as both ovens were "misbehaving".
Engineer explained, "both thermo switches were faulty & main oven seal was perished".
The Engineer told us, "off the record" I do not think we can get parts for this model anymore.
Cut a long story short! We are still without proper use of either oven. My Wife has made at least 12 calls to both the Service Dept & Ins Company. Both promised to investigate & call Her back. No responses to date.
I started an email "contact" with both parties, & keep getting conflicting replys.
The policy states, "repair or replace, with the equivilent". Neither has happened as yet.
I've made a formal complaint to both parties, no response.
Is there a "Governing Body" I can raise this with, Consmer Direct cannot help!
Grateful for any advice, please.
Bob.k

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Extended Warranty Insurance

Hi Bob,

I am assuming this is one of those extended warranties that retailers such as Comet and Curries try to sell you every time you make a purchase. Is that correct?

When did you buy the oven? The reason I ask it that your complaint may still be covered by your statutory right and expectation that the over is of reasonable quality and fit for purpose.

Tony

bob.k

Jun 27, 2008
Hi Tony, no, this is an independent cover. It is supplied by one of the major insurance companys. We took the policy after the first 12 months, & have been using this company for some years to cover major appliances. Each appliance is on it "own" policy.
Bearing in mind, we wanted to use a "reputable company", this was the most cost effective way to gain cover.
They will only cover an appliance for a max of 7 years. Our oven is mid way through its
6th year. Therefore, they have been supplying cover for 5 1/2years.

Regards, Bob.k

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Financial Ombudsman

Hi Bob,

As it is so old it is reasonable that problems would arise. The ombudsman for insurance companies is below:

Financial Ombudsman Service

It is their job to to settle disputes between consumers and businesses providing financial services - including insurance policies. They were set up by parliament to do this - not sure why Consumer Direct didn't tell you this.

Let us know how you get on.

Tony

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Hi Bob,

I think you'll be lucky to be able to make much headway on your claim due to the age of your oven...but if you are fully covered by the warranty, then you should continue to pursue it.

I must admit to have not had such bother with insurance companies and you should consider a change. I recently had some things stolen from my garage and the Halifax were brilliant and the whole replacement proceedure was entirely stress free.

Paul Carcone