Get £100 for switching to Alliance and Leicester

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Alliance and Leicester is currently offering £100 if you open a premier current account there. Conditions apply: you must apply online and use their Premier Switching Service to move your bank account to them. You must also pay at least £500 a month into the account, and cannot have an existing Alliance and Leicester account.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Thought I should just give you all a warning on this one, I had an A&L account and I budget carefully and check my bank statements each day, I noticed some discrepancies and it seemed A&L were actually rearranging debits/credits to their advantage,making the most of their overdraft charges.

I did convert some to.pdf at one point with the intention of complaining to the FSA but once I'd got my charges back I didn't bother, now you have reminded me about them I may do it!!!

Anyway - not recommended.

Saxon68

Dec 9, 2008
first direct are also offering 100 pounds plus 40 pounds cashback for opening an account.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thought I should just give you all a warning on this one, I had an A&L account and I budget carefully and check my bank statements each day, I noticed some discrepancies and it seemed A&L were actually rearranging debits/credits to their advantage,making the most of their overdraft charges.

I did convert some to.pdf at one point with the intention of complaining to the FSA but once I'd got my charges back I didn't bother, now you have reminded me about them I may do it!!!

Anyway - not recommended.
That is absolutely shocking - I heard/read ?? that lots of banks were doing this over the Christmas holiday with all the bank holidays i.e. bringing all the payments forward by default. Lots of people got caught out plus there is all the extra interest they earn.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Thanks for that Tony, interestingly I am with FirstDirect now and have found them great to deal with.

The Direct Debit guarantee states that companies must tell you how much they are going to take and the date they are going to take it on, if they fail to do this you can claim the money back from your bank, I am reading this as if they take it on the incorrect date too?

I have also heard it's not worth the paper it's written on so I'd be interested if anyone needs to challenge it!!