Missing DFS order

Narf

Apr 30, 2014
Back on 5th January we ordered various furniture items from DFS with a total value of just over £2800 which we took over 42 months on the 0% apr o% deposit. At this time we were given a 77 day lead time.

As we have quite narrow doors, I opted to take their 'trial run' to ensure the furniture will fit through the doors. This was done on 16th Jan by two of their drivers standing by the door and making a guess.

After 79 days had passed, with no update we went into store to ask where the order was. We were told the office staff didn't work weekends, but they would call us on Monday with an update. On Tuesday, we got sick of waiting and called them to be told that our original order had been cancelled pending the outcome of the trial run and a new order created and as their supplier is in China the order would be delayed by Chinese New Year. When asked why we weren't updated with this, they said it wasn't their policy to do so, only to give customers a call to arrange delivery.

So here we are, about to enter May, still no sofa and no update. DFS clearly still expect to wait and accept delivery whenever they feel up to it and pay full whack for the priviledge of being messed around.

I'll be going into store tomorrow to demand some answers. However, I'm a little unsure of my rights. I'm not so sure I want to furniture any more, I'd rather go somewhere that appreciates my business. Am I entitled to do so? Either way, I really don't feel like paying them the full amount. Any advice is much appreciated.