Tyres: how do you know if it's value for money?

gabriel

Facilitator
Jun 21, 2008
I've always thought that buying tyres is a bit of a lottery. You can go for the major brands like Pirelli or Michelin and pay twice as much as you would for a 'budget' tyre. Maybe it will last twice as long or be safer or more economical, more comfortable or whatever, but how do you decide if it's worth the extra expense?

Me, I tend to ask myself if I expect to change the car before the tyres are likely to need replacing again. Usually my answer is yes, so I end up going for a budget tyre, though not the cheapest on offer.

As these few square inches of rubber are the only part of the vehicle connected to the road, if I could afford it, I'd choose the best tyres money can buy. But this is one of those compromises I, and maybe a lot of cost-conscious motorists, make. Is it false economy? What do you tend to buy? Any bad experiences with low-end tyre brands?

Jez

Consumer
Jun 14, 2008
It would be interesting to know what difference it makes. The usual situation for me is this - I get a puncture, go to garage, try to get the cheapest, they haven't got any in stock and end up paying for premium tyres anyway... my car doesn't have a real spare one just an emergency space saver - more like emergency cost saver for the manufacturers... :mad:

Jez

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
If you are a pretty sensible driver, then an economy set of rubber is OK. However, if you drive quickly and/or a lot, then you may wish to invest in one of the premium brands.

Personally, I tend to shop around until I find a fitter with a premium brand that is on some sort of offer...it gets you the best of both worlds and, of course, you can always negotiate a further discount even if your first choice does not have an offer.

Reactions: Tony