Car accident at crossroads

Bean

Jul 6, 2014
Hi all,

I was involved in a car accident at a cross roads notorious for being dangerous. I was travelling from a minor road to go straight across however when I was in the middle of the cross roads another vehicle came at speed over the major road and hit my car. He also (instead of braking to avoid the collision) tried going around me by moving into his opposing lane. On the major Road there is a speed triggered sign saying slow down.
According to the policeman who can to visited me today, they are recommending I go on the driver awareness course for driving with undue acre and attention. My problem with this decision however is the police have taken the account of a witness (who I didn't know there was due to being rushed off in an ambulance) who was behind me prior to pulling off.
I know the crossroads well and know that it would be impossible for the witness to have seen whether I had a clear gap to take or not. How credible does that make his/her statement?? What can I do to defend myself under these circumstances?