Banks Refusing Lending on New Builds

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Interesting news has reached my ears of banks refusing to lend for new build properties. As such, builders and developers are on their hands and knees for customers to take these properties off their hands. Massive discounts are being talked about.

Has anyone else heard anything more concrete and less anecdotal?

Paul Carcone

James

May 3, 2008
Many banks stopped lending for buy-to-let new builds a while back. This was due to the many buy-to-let scams. You have probably seen the adverts with catchy headlines such as "£20,000" instant equity etc. Many of the companies offering these deals have now gon bus and a numer of surveyors are facing prosecution for over valung properties... I guess it depends on the amount of equity the buyer has and the real value of the property.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The problem is with off-plan homes and the 9-12 month completion delay. You can get an estimated valuation now, but the actual value is likely to be 10% lower in 12 month's time. Unless you have more than 10% deposit, the bank will be worried about not getting its money back. For stock homes i.e. homes that are complete and empty this won't be so much of a problem, or at least no different to any other type of property, as the valuation will be accurate. I believe that banks are looking for large deposits and there are only a few 95% mortgages available - many are saying these won't be around for much longer. 100% and 100% plus are a thing of the past...