Stung by terms and conditions of holiday home rental contract

clarewhite28

Nov 1, 2014
Hello,
I am just looking for some advice. Early last year we booked a holiday home to rent over Christmas week 2014. We paid a non-refundable deposit of 250 pounds and was told to pay full balance 8 weeks before holiday start date. However, I have fallen ill and have had to cancel the holiday (7 weeks and 1 day before start date.) Understandably, the deposit is now lost but the owner is also insisting that I am liable to pay the full holiday price (3200 pounds) as I have cancelled less than 8 weeks before (6 days late). The terms and conditions displayed on the holiday home website do not have any mention of this, but there is now a revised version which looks to have been updated recently.

Can anyone give me any advice on this matter? Is he likely to sue me for non payment?

clarewhite28

Nov 1, 2014
Please can someone reply? I'm losing sleep. I am worried that if I am liable to pay the full amount I will be unable to as my illness prevents me from going back to work and I will be on statutory sick pay after 3 months.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
You are only responsible for the the terms you agreed (the contract) when you signed the contract. If those terms were not part of the contract at the date you signed or were not made known to you, they can not be introduced retrospectively by either party to the contract.

Do you have paper work?