New Camera damaged at repairers what are my rights

roycymru

Jan 10, 2009
Hi

I would be grateful for advice. I bought a DSLR camer from Jessops before Xmas and was not happy with its performance so took it back to Jessops on 27th December for repair under warranty. I went in today to collect the camera but Jessops repairers had managed to damage the camera (there is a big crack in the plastic casing)! Jessops wanted to send it back for repair to the damage their repairers have caused but I was not happy with this option.

Unfotunately the manager was not in today to discuss further. Before I speak to the manager on Monday I would like to know what me options. I am obviously unhappy with Jessops service and if the camera case is cracked it must have receive a hefty knock and therefore there may be other unseen damage. After this poor level of customer service I would ideally like a refund I certainly don't want is sent back for re-repair as I no longer have any faith in the repairers. If a refund is not an option then I would agree to a new replacement or credit note to just buy a new one myself.

Therefore am I entitled to a full refund, if not what are my options.

Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
This post will be of interest:

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/other-goods-services/2666-faulty-baby-travel-system-shop-admits-fault-new-post.html

The fact that it is so new means that you could argue that you have not accepted the camera and would like a refund. This is a real grey area though.

Under the Sale of Goods Act the order is repair, replace then refund. The law doesn't say how many times the item can be repaired. However, twice would be reasonable.

You rightly state that you could and should argue that you have no confidence in the Jessop's repair service and would like a replacement.

Sorry this is vague.

To get a replacement should be easy, a refund might be more difficult. let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Tony

roycymru

Jan 10, 2009
Hi

Just to report back I got full refund. I think this is mainly due to fact that Jessops do seem to take care of the customer (not like Comet see my other post - coming up)

The manager of the Jessops branch rang me this morning and said the the repair department were insisting that the camera went back for repair and for them to assess and proceed from there. I explained I was not happy with this situation as they had already messed up. He agreed and suggested I contacted their Customer Services directly. This I did and explained the situation and the customer rep said as I had taken it back within 28 days of purchase the stored should have offered me an exchange or refund rather than a repair under the terms of their contract anyway. Therefore he said as this had not happened and due to the fact that the repairers had damaged the camera he was happy to authorise a full refund and I went in this afternoon and got this.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for the update, I am interested to see what Comet have been up to. I have always had a lot of respect for the Jessops brand although I believe they have changed a lot since I was into photography - 10 plus years ago...