builder taken away cooker and new doors in lieu of snagging payment - is this legal?

ludoboy

Dec 8, 2014
builder has nearly completed over 5k of building works in kitchen and bathroom of rental property, currently empty. i retained 5% of total project costs for snagging which he has been very slow about. Separate to that he ordered and i paid for in full the kitchen units and appliances.

We were down to the final snagging points, finishing off some shoddy grouting and removing rubbish from site. He has now emailed me saying he doesnt believe i want to make the final payment and therefore as per the t and c, which i've never received a copy of, he has taken the new cooker and all all the new cupboard doors and wont replace them until i pay the retention. He makes no effort to explain why he won't finish the outstanding snagging as he has previousy promised to do. Becauuse the property was vacant and the work took place over a couple of months, i had given him a key to use to do the work, but not to take items i've already paid for!

we'd previously had a good relationship.

Where do i stand in terms of him having taken goods that i'd paid for, come into the house with a key i'd lent him but only to carry out the agreed works, and any ideas on how to progress. he's now not answering calls or emails. offers now no intention of completing works, they are minor but he had repeatedly agreed to do them.

Feel i have been niavely trusting! :-(