Drainage issue

andylad303

Apr 2, 2015
Hi, I bought a bungalow in a semi rural area around 5 years ago, as part of my search on the bungalow before I purchased it, was a CON29DW report which lists any issues with drainage. On the report the answer to both questions, does foul water and surface water connect to a mains public sewer, the answer was yes to both.
5 years later I have received a letter from the environment agency saying that I have been reported for polluting a water way with sewage from my bungalow.The guy from the agency has contacted my water provider who have now said there are no public sewers in the area of my property and that I am indeed not connected to a public sewer. The property is over 70 years old ,so god only knows where my drains go to. The environment say that if my drains have collapsed over the years then I will have to have a septic tank fitted, though I don't have sufficient space on my land for this. My question is that if the CON29DW report says I am connected to mains sewer, and I am not, then is this not a legal case for me as I would never have bought the property if I had known this