Return postage costage rights

roycymru

Jan 10, 2009
Hi

Me again (not a good few Weeks!). My wife bought a breadmaker (over the Internet direct from the manufacturer) with a "retractable" blade. A good feature we thought as there would be no more holes in bread after baking. However the blade does not retract at all it just half folds down and just gets stuck in the bread and to get it out we have to gouge it out. In fact it is worse than our old bread maker in this respect. We therefore rejected the Bread Maker as not fit for purpose. The supplier has agreed to a refund but says we must pay the postage costs for return. I thought as we bought on line and therefore the distant selling regulations apply they could not do this. However on checking on their web site they do state "We will not pay the costs of returning an item to us". Does this exempt them or not from paying return postage costs?

Thanks

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I'm not sure of the exact answer, but do know that normally a seller can't shirk their responsibilities with unreasonable/unfair contractual terms.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Roy. Good question Chutzpah is correct.

If you are cancelling an online purchase because you have changed your mind (i.e. within the seven day cooling off period) the seller can charge postage as long as they make this clear in their terms.

However, where your statutory rights have been breached then then the seller must arrange for and pay for collection. They have to do this within 21 days. After that period you can dispose of the item.

I hope this helps

Tony