1.4TSI engine on Volkswagen Scirroco

Sherbet

Jun 22, 2015
My sons's 4 year old Scirroco lost power last week and went into our local garage. They were great and rang us to say that there was no compression on one of the cylinders. There was 150 on Pistons 1,2 and 3 but only 40 on 4! They said it should go into Volkswagen as he suspected engine damage and it would be a costly job. Volkswagen rang us to confirm and asked for permission to strip the engine at £105 an hour + vat! They rang back to say the engine was burnt out and would need replacing. They have agreed to pay for the parts, but it will leave my son with a £3000 +vat bill.
I decided to do some research on the Internet as I was told that this is a common fault on these engines and invariably it is piston number 4. That is the case and I have been on forums and found people all over the world that this has happened to. What car ran an article on this in October 2013 and said that this is a known issue with this particular twin charger engine.Volkswagen covered all but £950 of the costs in that case. I am finding that there is no consistency in how they deal with this problem. The car has 46,000 miles on the clock and is leased by my son. The lease company do not want to know and have stopped answering my calls but are aware that this was a fault as another of their customers had been in touch. The motor finance company also don't want to know and the frustrating thing is, he can return it in September! Our garage have said it is a sudden, major, mechanical fault, not due to wear and tear. They said it is ridiculous on a 4 year old car and will support us in any claim we make. To add insult to injury, the engine is on back order so could be up to 3 weeks. Our local Volkswagen dealership have finally found him a courtesy car after a week so at least he can get to work.
Chris Craft, the then director of VW cars said on the Scirroco forum in 2011 that they had received a number of reports that the 1.4tsi 160 have experienced certain issues with engine performance and said you should contact Volswagen customer care. I cannot understand why all these cars weren't recalled!
I would really appreciate any feedback and help in this matter. My son is only 20 and will struggle to pay the bill. It all seems so unfair!!