Accident Dilemma

millsy13

Aug 30, 2015
OK, this is exactly what happened.

Was reversing out of car park on to main road. Bad bend, double yellows lines on both sides, houses on opposite side, right on roadside with narrow pavement. As walked to car, matter of ten yards, no cars were parked opposite entrance.

Reversed slowly out, stopped to check both ways and car to left stopped to let me reverse out & with nothing coming from my right I did.

Had not seen the car that had arrived and parked directly opposite car park entrance outside houses. Must have happened between me walking to car and reversing out.

Very low speed impact. so parked my car on my side of road next to car park entrance, but on double yellows.

Saw a small crack & piece of my tail light missing, with whole of lens loose from housing Looked across at other car and saw no damage. As I was on double yellows and restricting road to single car width, I reversed back into garage.

As I reversed back in someone else was waiting to come out. Once I had passed them they drove off. Don't know what if anything they saw.

None of doors at houses opposite were open and no one was in car. Didn't make a not of make and model or any damage.

As my lens was cracked and loose, I went back inside to get sellotape to fix it in place so I could use my car.

Took a matter of two minutes to go back inside and come back out. In the meantime the car owner had come out of one of the houses and driven off.

Got home several hours later and got a knock on door from woman across road saying she had been told I had been seen reversing out of car park and driven off after nudge. As a result she had rung her insurance co and logged with police that day. I didn't get details of her insurance or police log number.

Had a chat and said I had reversed out and did nudge her car, but that as I was embarrassed to have been involved in even such a minor nudge, I would pay for her damage, even though I hadn't seen her car.

Said I wouldn't bother trying to argue she was illegally parked on a bad bend, purely because damage to my car was so minor. Cost me £130 inc vat to get it fixed with genuine parts.

She agreed saying she would get quote next day, we shook on it and gave her my phone number. No other details exchanged

Sent her a text next day asking if she had got a quote for repair. She text back several hours later saying she had been advised to go through insurance.

Have not contacted her since. As a result of her agreeing to let me pay, I didn't report to police. Does this leave me with a problem with the police for technically failing to report?

I have since got pictures of damage to her car, and it's cheap and easy to sort, crease in bodywork and minor scuff. no more than a couple of hours and£150 at any garage. Her excess is £250 and mine is £500.

As far as I am aware, she has no pictures of any damage to my car, none of my details apart from phone number and her witness drove off without actually seeing me cause any damage or looking at her car or mine.

Having done the right thing and offered to sort it, should I now play hard ball and try to force her to prove I did any damage at all?

Really angry as I hadn't tried to be anything but honest and reasonable over a very minor nudge.

Can't see what she gains to benefit, other than her garage rubbing their hands at an inflated claim on her 15 year old car.

Any advice welcomed.