Romford Mobile Mechanic/Mobile Mechanic Romford

haribo

Oct 10, 2015
Hi,the above is a mobile mechanic that works from Harold Hill in Romford.I engaged his services in March 2014 to rebuild the engine in my car,and following an agreement on cost etc he started the job.This was my first mistake as within a week I noticed the car had been removed without my permission from my lock up garage.I contacted him and his reply was "I can't work on the car at your garage and need it somewhere where I can work on it" to which I replied "I thought a mobile mechanic was just that,they come to you" This was overlooked and he said the car should be ready a week after I gave him the new parts that I was to order (I was unable to order any parts until he removed the old part's due to critical sizes for Pistons,Big End Shells,etc not being known) so it was app a month before the parts actually arrived but before this happened he contacted me and said he could not keep the car at his address as he had other work to complete on other jobs.This was now a problem as the car was now in pieces and was not able to drive so I contacted a friend who has a smallholding near to where the car was and asked him if I could store the car there for a couple of weeks to which he agreed.Two weeks turned into two months and despite numerous phone calls and texts he did nothing.I eventually had a few words with him and he agreed to start re-assembling the engine and two weeks later the car was supposed to be ready.I forgot to mention earlier that whilst the car was with him he authorized £1100 of work at a local engineering company without telling me and left me to pay the bill.I also found out some time later that he had talked his way into doing some work on my friend's Van whilst collecting my car and charged him £2600 to repair his engine.Would you believe the engine expired app 3 months later ! I only wish I had told my friend but at this stage I had no reason to warn him. A few weeks went by and he delivered the car and he was paid his labour charges that amounted to £1350 and all seemed well at first but within a day the first problems arose.I won't go into the whole episode but after app 4 months and app 6 visits the car was unfit to use.I finally told him that as he had failed to rectify the serious problems with my car,despite a total cost of £3600,I would give him one final chance and failing that I would take my car elsewhere and get it repaired at his cost.This I did and I was absolutely shocked at what this new mechanic told me.He said whoever had worked on the engine had left some critical bolts loose on the Timing Gears and this had eventually worked loose and smashed various gears etc.He also said if it had been left for another couple of hundred miles it would probably have flew off and wrecked the engine.He charged £500 to rectify this mess and now the car is running better than it has ever run.I told the previous mechanic that he was responsible under the goods and services act 1982 to pay the bill to get my car repaired due to his lack of skill and shoddy work but he has refused to pay.I am therefore taking him to the county court to recover this amount.Is there any advice as to what format my claim should take.In the meantime if anyone in the Romford,Essex,Dagenham area is looking to use this mechanic,THEN BE AWARE OF HIS LIMITED ABILITIES.