Faulty Wardrobes (after 1 year)

Duffy

Dec 10, 2015
I wonder if anyone can help please - need advice

Purchased wardrobes from Debenhams which developed fault after a year, inspection carried out we agreed for a reapir,
Techinican then advised Debenhams we did not want the repair, he lied about us and Debenhams being really unhelpful, Wardrobes discontinued will not replace just want to refund us (can t by matching wardrobes for he whole bedroom set purchased on the same day), Want to me technician in front of them to admit he lied, Debenhams know insisting on below.
See full account -Can anyone help please, how do I respond know very stressed out caused so much inconvenience.

When the technician came out to inspect the wardrobe (manufacturers fault as he stated), he spent a long time explaining to myself and my husband how he would lay a sheet down to protect our carpet, take of the plinth ( went and looked inside the wardrobe to check he could take them off and confirm that he could in fact do that) in his words it was not a problem, no problem at all, he would take of the split and take off / sand down the faulty paint work as it is definitely and clearly a manufacturers fault, as they had not and did not let the paint dry properly ( we purchased the whole bedroom set at the same time and in good faith), he then took pictures with his mobile phone ( which you should have copies of) similar to the photos I originally sent in, he took out a little ruler to measure the fault and photographed those as well, he then proceeded to rub his finger along the split and cut his finger and then proceeded to swear out loud – very loud (used the “F” word- frankly exceptionally unprofessional and unacceptable).

The technician then went on to explain in even greater depth that he would then respray the other damage to the wardrobes (as I had told him at the beginning that I loved them so much and had spent over a year choosing the whole bedroom set. He advised that he would personally ( as the job would be assigned to him as he lived in Welwyn or Welwyn garden) would like to book in at least 3- 4 hours to complete it so it would be a professional job as he did not want to rush it so the outcome would not be to the right finish, (we were sceptical), however, we both agreed that we were more than happy for the repair to be carried out at that time as he kept stating the wardrobes were discontinued and they could replace them with other ones that would not match, we advised him that that was unacceptable as we had brought the set together and spent a year choosing them , we could not have different wardrobes that would not match the rest of the bedroom set purchased at the same time, how could they even consider this as an option.

We then asked “ how long would it be before he could carry out the repair ”,his response was “we are very busy at the moment”, my husband then enquired ”would it be before Christmas”, he relied “yes definitely”, he would log the repair and they would then call us direct to book in a time slot” we agreed that was fine, he then typed whatever he decided to type in to his hand held device, we just assumed it was to confirm he had attended, he asked me to sign (not read and did not explain what he had typed in) I refused as I did not have my glasses and could not see a thing , he gave it to my husband who squiggled a signature, but also did not know what he was signing.

The technician said I will see you soon and I will book in the repair later today and they would be in contact with us shortly.

To my absolute shock, horror and disbelieve I received the email stating

I have today picked up an email from the manufacturer of your order in regards to your recent technician visit. The team have advised me that a repair was refused on this occasion.

Unfortunately the manufacturer has now discontinued this line so a replacement is not an option we can fulfil on this occasion. Please see list of the below options we can put in place for you:
·
· Allowance to keep,
·
· Collection for a refund

How can you offer an option to keep something that has a manufacturers fault and:

A.
B. Take away the wardrobe(refund us, )so we can then purchase others that will not match with the rest of the bedroom set purchased at the same time as they are discontinued.
B.
C. This in line with the fact (the true fact), that the technician has blatantly lied and not relayed the true conversation/discussion and outcome,(I cannot understand why he would do this- did he decide it was too big a job, discuss this with his boss and then made the decision as he sat outside in his van for nearly 30 minutes.
C.
D. Both the technician and Debenhams have labelled me and my husband as liars which is defamation of mine and my husband’s good character, we are both honest and professional people and are absolutely horrified by this and despise his attitude intensely, we would like to contest this and are happy to meet him in front of you to establish he has not told the truth and caused great upset to us both

We originally would have been happy with the repair, however due to the circumstances and the way we have been labelled/ treated and the exceptionally poor customer service provided by Debenhams and the very poor unprofessional behaviour ant attitude by your manufacturers/ technician and that fact that part of the bedroom set has a manufacturers fault (how do we know the rest of the set will not develop that we can no longer just accept a repair.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 says that any item you buy from a trader must be:
·
· of satisfactory quality
·
· fit for purpose
·
· goods should last for a reasonable time and in reasonable condition   

I would still like to see a copy of the technicians report which Debenhams should pass on direct to me as we are making our complaint to you as we purchased the goods and you have a duty of care to your customers, we are not in direct contact with the manufacturer and your technician - please forward this on to me

I am happy for you to collect and refund (in advance all of the bedroom furniture we purchased and we will spend another year looking elsewhere for a new bedroom set, we cannot have and or except items that do not match.

I cannot accept your offer of Keep the goods – no repair and to keep the Faulty furniture and pay me off with £250.00, frankly this I find an insult

Not sure how to respond, had enough to be fair.