New worktop laminate lifting on front edge.

Teresauk

Dec 18, 2015
Hello

I have a worktop a few months old. It has a square front edge. The laminate has lifted at the front edge, a couple of inches away from a joint.

The fitter is saying its a manufacturing fault. That the front strip hasnt been sealed properly, has failed and water has got in. He has shown me how the edge is rippling along the length of the worktop, and under the bottom. The supplier says its poor fitting. Firstly they had an inspection and said it was a joint too tight and this had caused it to ripple further down. Then I wasnt happy, that didnt make sense. So the senior technician reviewed the report and now says the joint is poor, water has got in, travelled down the worktop and lifted the laminate. The joint is biscuited, colourfilled at the top. And there is about a 2mm gap underneath.

My only option now is to get an independent report done to decide who is at fault, the FIRA one is £125 + VAT. I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on what might cause this? I want to be sure its not something I've done before paying for the report. I've asked 2 kitchen fitters now and they are both saying manufacturing error.

Many thanks
Teresa
ps will upload picture when I can work out how!