Roofers and threats towards us

gogul1@hotmail.com

Jan 8, 2016
Hi guys new member but had to join as we are in civil dispute with our roofers. We needed to get a new garage roof as the timbers aross the top were rotten (some had sunk quite badly and were able to be picked apart like weetabix. We got a few quotes and saw a reputable one online. Until November the company we used had immaculate reviews and their quote for a new garage roof and repointing of a chimney was £2,500 total. We accepted the quote and they got to work in december. Our neighbours have an adjoining garage and decided to get their roof done too.
When they arrived here it was very rushed. They smashed up the asbestos roof
Upon arrival quickly (No protective clothing etc) then once the roof was off tried to tell me the roof needed new timber. I told them it was part of the original quote and they then said it wasn't. They tried to charge us £700 for 6 3 metre long bits of 2x4 wood. I was not happy so called their boss who was agressive from the start. He said he would try and sort something. The next day I heard nothing but not much had been done so awaited a new invoice for the next day. It never arrived and after the 2nd day I was told the roof was done and we now needed to pay up. I told them they did not submit a new invoice for the extra work and was not happy as I had not agreed to the excess charges.
My wife then phoned the boss who got verbally abusive to her, he threatened to rip the roof off and take the extra work off. They are part of the CORC (confederation of roofing contractors) and I spoke to them. Due to the abuse we recieved I requested all correspondence to go through a member of the CORC as we were not happy dealing directly due to the abuse. We had sent several emails through the CORC and we agreed to pay them the original invoice and did so £2500. They still wanted the £700 and we refused saying their website states on their cover page that their quotes are fixed price and they were fully aware of the rotten beams to begin with.
We just recieved yet another direct email from them demanding we pay the money or they will attend our property and remove the extra work (which will leave the roof damaged.
Can they do this? Surely this is criminal damage? We paid the original fee as agreed but are in dispute over the final amount which they reduced to £450 after arguing and changing their minds about what the extra charges were for (first it was the beams but when I told them I had photos of the damaged beams they said they had done extra work on the edging with new bricks etc and said the charge was for that really)
Wife is terrified they will take down the roof and leave valuable proerty inside exposed to the elements.
Any help or advice greatly recieved.

Newbuildblues

Jun 26, 2016
Did anyone reply to this? we're going through the same. We've had shoddy roofing carried out and now have threats that they will come and remove the tiles with a hammer!

Edward Jones

Aug 5, 2016
Re: Jonathan P Walker Cowboy builder

Jonathan P Walker COWBOY BUILDER

This person is the worst, he traded as REEF Homes and built unsafe houses, the last one took 140,000 to put right, this is borne out by the litigation, the out of court settlement and the planning officer of Beverley in East Yorkshire.
He has since changed his name to WOODHOUSE (Lund) Ltd and building the same unsafe properties as he did before. He will be caught again but he just changes his company and moves on. He has connections in the Council as he was a council Leader and his family take turns to hold that position (his uncle is now in that position) his family are the biggest landowners and his wife has the Nursery also in the village, also the Beverley council keep giving him planning permission, so something is wrong there as well.
Please can you help as someone will get hurt of even killed if he is not stopped, I have tried but the village council under the family control override it.

Edward Jones

Aug 5, 2016
Re: jonathan P Walker Cowboy builder

This person is the worst, he traded as REEF Homes and built unsafe houses, the last one took 140,000 to put right, this is borne out by the litigation, the out of court settlement and the planning officer of Beverley in East Yorkshire.
He has since changed his name to WOODHOUSE (Lund) Ltd and building the same unsafe properties as he did before. He will be caught again but he just changes his company and moves on. He has connections in the Council as he was a council Leader and his family take turns to hold that position (his uncle is now in that position) his family are the biggest landowners and his wife has the Nursery also in the village, also the Beverley council keep giving him planning permission, so something is wrong there as well.
Please can you help as someone will get hurt of even killed if he is not stopped, I have tried but the village council under the family control override it.

Edward Jones

Aug 5, 2016