Issues with poorly fitted b&q kitchen

Percy585

Feb 11, 2016
Any help and advice would be great fully recieved. I had a b&q kitchen fitted by an independent fitter a number of years ago. It would appear he is not registered but known locally. Having moved back into my house I noticed that most of the horizontal panels had swollen and split. I have called in a friend who has pointed out that all the panels haven been cut and not sealed before they were fitted onto the kitchen floor. I have spoken to b&q who advised the panels should not be cut and should remain sealed, but the fitter does not agree. He is saying that he has been had adviced he is not responsible 2 years after they were fitted but as a good will offer he will replace half the damaged panels. Legally I've been told that If I can prove that it was incorrectly fitted (as opposed to some other fault with what was installed - which may be the manufacturers problem) then it is the fitter's problem. It would be an implied term of the contract of service you entered into with him that he would complete the job with reasonable care and skill. You have six years for a claim of breach of contract. So to my questions... What should I do next? What are my options? Is it correct that raw wood should be sealed or even that the panels should not have been cut in the first instance? Should I push for all panels to be replaced or are there other options?

Any advice really appreciated

mbkimberley

Dec 21, 2015
Shepshed UK
sounds like a bit of a mess to have to deal with! unfortunately things like this can happen when you go with someone who is independent and thinks they know everything without checking! if youve paid him to do a job then he should have done it properly and to a good standard. if this was me i would definitely be pushing for him to replace all the panels as he is the one that has done wrong.
hope you manage to get it sorted!

Percy585

Feb 11, 2016
Thank you! Yes it's most definately a mess! I guess I'm trying to get proof that what he did was incorrect?

Edward Jones

Aug 5, 2016
Re:Jonathan Walker Lund Cowboy Builder

Jonathan P Walker COWBOY BUILDER

This person is the worst, he traded as REEF Homes and built unsafe houses, the last one took 140,000 to put right, this is borne out by the litigation, the out of court settlement and the planning officer of Beverley in East Yorkshire.
He has since changed his name to WOODHOUSE (Lund) Ltd and building the same unsafe properties as he did before. He will be caught again but he just changes his company and moves on. He has connections in the Council as he was a council Leader and his family take turns to hold that position (his uncle is now in that position) his family are the biggest landowners and his wife has the Nursery also in the village, also the Beverley council keep giving him planning permission, so something is wrong there as well.
Please can you help as someone will get hurt of even killed if he is not stopped, I have tried but the village council under the family control override it.