Used car breaks down

Janis

Jul 15, 2008
Can a car dealership refuse to assist you if after 13 weeks of purchasing a car for £6600 the car breaks down due to it needing a new gear box?

There was no warranty with the vehicle which is 3 years old/so we purchased a separate Warranty for it. I still feel the dealership has some
ownership in this they say NO.

The car is Citroen C2 GT -Citroen itself were very willing to get involved then they found out the dealership in question is not a registered Citroen Dealership.

Please advise

Janis

Catriona

What Consumer Founder
Jun 23, 2008
The warranty is irrelevant in this case as you would be covered by your statutory rights under Sale of Goods - which states that items purchased from a commercial entity should be of reasonable quality and durable, taking into account factors such as consumer expectations and price paid. In this case the price you paid was significant and you would have expected the car to be roadworthy for a greater length of time. Therefore you have sound grounds to argue that the dealership are in breach of Sale of Goods Section 14. Your recourse is with the company who sold you the car and any refusal to accept responsibility should be referred to either Trading Standards or a Small Claims Court. For further info see the section on consumer rights (buying goods) here: They say I've taken ownership so it's my responsibility | Consumer Information
and here: Second hand goods and your rights | Consumer Information

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
From my experience it is not uncommon for businesses to say no to legitimate claims such as this. They know that most people will just accept it and being unsure of their rights will just walk away.

Tony