A strategy to avoid repaying excessive bank charges

Catriona

What Consumer Founder
Jun 23, 2008
One of the main banks facing High Court Action by the OFT due to excessive bank charges has come up with a very sly way of continuing to charge consumers large amounts for unauthorised overdrafts, bounced cheques or failed direct debits. Introducing the 'Personal Reserve' - a facility you can 'dip into' in case of emergency if you have to go overdrawn or beyond your overdraft limit. And the charge for the use of this reserve? £22. Bargain! Feels like the bank is there to lend a helping hand doesn't it? And this way they don't have to pay a penny of it back because it is no longer a bank charge but a bank fee - one that you have automatically agreed to if you haven't opted out. My advice - open the letter, read it carefully and opt out. Don't let banks get away with continuing to charge high fees in this way.

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Of course, the most effective way of keeping yourself free of charges is to stay within your overdraft limits! I tend to find that if I contact my bank before I make any significant transactions that may have implications for my balance and overall cashflow, the bank tend to be pretty good with me.

I think communication is key.

That said, I completely agree with the post above...we should not allow ourselves to get stung by this stealth-charge!

Paul Carcone