Bought a car from 'trade' - clocked and doesn't work

micfraczek

Oct 10, 2016
Hi there,

I am new so please excuse if do something wrong.

I bought a car in Part exchange 2 weeks ago. I found the advert on autotrader and advert was under trade seller. Then problems with car started. First day, after few hours it wouldn't starting! I spoke then with a seller and explained what happened asking for return. He declined saying he can help me fixing it.

I took a car to a mechanic who said it's a fuel pump and i got this replaced. Seller offer to pay for second used fuel pump £90, which i wasn't happy about. I then spent £550 on repair. All worked for 10 days! Now it doesn't work again :(

In the meantime I've discovered that car has a clocked mileage and trade client new about this but didn't tell me this. When i told him this on the phone he said that i should read the advert more carefully as he explained that in advert... which was not true as i still got the advert saved. Also I have this conversation recorded, as well as him saying that he doesn't have to comply with trade regulations.

Seller description on autotrader was 'trade' but we met on the street, and i don't think i've got his full address. Also i can't find info about his company. I paid using bank transfer, same he did when he paid for fuelpump. I;ve got his bank details, telephone and saved advert. It's been only 2.5weeks since i bought this car.

Can you tell me what are my rights in this situation? What I can do as I've got enough and want to return this car. All that make my life miserable and I feel depressed which is something i've never experienced

Look forward to hearing from you

Michael

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hello,

Sorry to hear about this - we have a guide here - Buying a Car

If he is a trader you should be able to get your money back as the car is not as described.

Let me know how you get on

Best wishes,

Tony