Faulty Sony TVs

Fene88

Oct 12, 2016
Kent
Hey folks! I tried to keep my first ever post short but ended up splitting it into a Short and Long version :D

Short Version
Basically I bought a Sony TV from Argos in July, had it just over a month and it broke. They told me to go through Sony which I did, eventually got a replacement "as new" TV which was faulty upon first use! Been getting the runaround from Sony since and I wondered if it's worth going to a small claims court or atleast warning Sony that i'm going to be taking legal action if they don't pull their finger out!

Long Version
Back on 3rd July I purchased a Sony HDTV from Argos after reading decent reviews about the particular model. After just over a month with not much use at all, the TV started developing faults such as dead pixels, lines across the screen vertically and horizontally etc. I contacted Argos right away but was told that it had been over a month since I purchased it so I would have to contact Sony instead which I found quite annoying!

I contacted Sony and after quite a few emails involving troubleshooting for dummies i.e. turn the TV off / on, remove the power cable, factory reset etc.. they decided the TV was actually faulty and asked me to take the TV to my nearest repair centre. I told them that I would prefer for them to arrange for the TV to be collected from my home instead as I work long hours, which they didn't have a problem doing. In the end it changed to having a guy come round with a replacement "as new" TV of the same model which I thought was even better as I wouldn't have to be without a TV!

Upon first use of this replacement "as new" TV I discovered that it was also faulty!! After a few minutes of use the display starts to get brighter and brighter until the whole screen is almost completely white, it slowly fades back to normal over time but is not something I believe I should have to tolerate. Contacted Sony yet again and told them that the replacement TV was faulty and how I was really annoyed as the TV obviously wasn't checked before it was given to me. They didn't even acknowledge the fact that both of the Sony brand TV's I received were faulty, just went straight into the "Have to tried turning the TV off for a few minutes" etc.

I have been emailing back and forth with Sony for what must be about a month now and it just seems like they're stalling and wasting my time. At one point in the troubleshooting email they sent they ask that you send them a picture of the Language Select screen to prove that you performed a Factory Reset. Upon sending this to them I received a reply saying that they cannot see any problem with the display?! Told them that they didn't request a picture showing the fault upon which they asked me to send me a video showing the fault :mad:

After that they emailed stating that the TV Firmware wasn't up to date and to follow the provided link to put the latest drivers onto a USB flashdrive. Went through all that and upon initiating the TV update it said that the firmware was already up to date :rolleyes: I stated this to them and in the following email they said that oh yes, there appears to be an issue with my TV... You don't say!!

Last paragraph I promise :p They then asked me to take the TV to my nearest repair centre (again) and I said that as I told them before I would prefer for them to have it collected like they did before, but this time I received a reply saying that they don't arrange for TV's to be collected from peoples homes?! After a rather aggravated reply from me they then asked for my previous Case Reference number so that they could "investigate the matter further". And now my friends if you've made it this far you are up to date, apologies for the length. I'm just so sick of the runaround and backtracking. As mentioned in the short version is it worth going to see someone for legal aid or taking this issue to a small claims court considering i've been without a functioning TV since 3rd July!!

Thanks for reading, Josh.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Josh,

Argos surprise me as they are normally among the better retailers when it comes to consumer complaints. They should have dealt with this rather than Sony as the retailer.

You can either continue down the Sony route or go back to Argos and tell them that you are rejecting the TV and would like your money back.

How to reject a faulty product and get your money back

Don't be fobbed off and ask to speak to the manager.

Let us know how you get one

Tony

Fene88

Oct 12, 2016
Kent
Thanks for your reply, the link you provided was very informative!

So as Sony attempted to replace the TV and failed I can now go back to Argos and say I am formally rejecting the TV and request a full refund even though it's been a few months? That about right? :)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
That's what I would try Josh.. good luck and let me know how you get on with Argos. They shouldn't have sent you to Sony in the first place.

Myke

Oct 18, 2016
It certainly surprises me that argos behaved in the way that they did:eek:,i feel that a chat with your local consumer advice centre would be of benefit. They will certainly put you straight as to your course of action.