Insurance claim payout help

Bluearmyfoxes

Dec 5, 2016
Hi all.
I've been trying to find some info on my issue but it's been a long hard slog without success so I thought I'd try you guys.
The full story is a little complex so I'l keep to key points.
I bought a car for my now ex partner, which makes me the legal owner, he was fully responsible for it's upkeep. Over a year ago, he was involved in an accident and was killed. The insurance company has finally come to a conclusion on the claim.
Now when a car insurance company agrees to payout on a claim (write off claim plus accidental death of the driver/policy holder) who gets the payout? is it the policy holder's next of kin or the legal owner of the vehicle??

I understand the accidental death part will go to next of kin but I would of though that seeing as the insurance company is effectively buying the car in the way of market value payout, that payout should go to the legal owner of the vehicle.

Any feedback would really help in this matter.

Thanks for reading.

Divine

Super Moderator
Apr 11, 2016
Hi Bluearmyfoxes,

Sorry for the late response. One of our agent will get back at you soon.

Please bare with us. :)

Bluearmyfoxes

Dec 5, 2016
Hi divine, lovely thank you. Sorry for the urgency but I'm contemplating legal action regarding this but I need to understand whether I have a legal standing on this issue or if this is a moral issue.
Many thanks