Supermarket Nappies

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
One thing I've found since I had my son is how much the price of nappies differs between supermarket own brands and named brands. I have saved a small fortune buying Tesco or Asda nappies instead of say Pampers. Same with the baby wipes. I've estimated that in the year my son has been on the planet I have used well over 1000 nappies so cost savings need to be made there! Cloth nappy users, please don't shoot me down, I use those too!

As for the wipes, the price difference can be over £1 a pack if you compare supermarket and named brands. I probably go through two packs a week. I don't think my son really cares if they are infused with Aloe or not! :rolleyes:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Great tip, the only thing I would add is that it is a good idea to just change one product at a time as some kids will react to these products. I know one of my sons didn't get on with one brand of nappies - can't remember which one as it was a few years ago now.

Tony

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
Good point Tony. Another thing I would add is that some of the pound shops have very very cheap packets of babywipes on sale and personally I would steer clear. I bought a pack once and they just didn't feel right, too harsh. Asda's are brilliant and they do a sensitive range. I think they are doing a ridiculous offer of 5 packs for a fiver at the moment too.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I remember buying some dishwasher tablets in a pound shop and they went in the bin after the first wash as the load we put in smelt really odd.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
We've found Tesco quite good, though at the moment we are using Huggies as my friend was able to bulk buy a load on offer at CostCo for us and they were ridiculously cheap.

And don't worry shalloran, we use reusable nappies but at night and if we're going out we use disposables.

Oh, and on a similar note we avoid wipes (again, unless we're going out). Cotton wool and water is much cheaper and we find greatly reduces the chances of nappy rash.

campbdy

Jan 30, 2009
I'm a Huggies mum

I'm a Huggies mum, myself. Tried Tesco's own brand and had too many leaks.

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
I found asda's own brand nappies were the best on the market and about a third cheaper then branded boxes. Would recommend them to anyone. I never did the cotton wool and water thing (without being tmi, they didnt exactly cut through the mess) but I used Asda's own brand mid range wipes for years and they were perfect. I still get them now for taking off my makeup and they are far better then the expensive loreal face wipes.

frdjns74

Feb 18, 2009
I but tescos own brand nappies and huggies wipes I don't like the ir own brand on them! As for the nappies I don't see the difference at all they still do the same job and thats really all that matters not what stuff they put in them moisturisers etc as I always use baby lotion anyway!

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Lets face it, younger babies very rarely do more then an hour or two in any nappy. Regardless of brand.

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
I bought some Asda nappies the other day and I don't know if I got a faulty batch or if they have changed the design, but they just didn't stick properly. I'm hoping they were just a bad lot as I love their nappies, and the price is fantastic!

Saying that Boots have had some great offers on their own brands lately and then of course you get your Advantage Card points on top so it can work out quite well.

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Oh, that is such a shame. I never thought of trying the boots one. I am a massive advantage card devotee (it is the only rewards card I keep. I worked for dunnhumby who run Tesco's and the data use scared the life out of me!).

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
Really? Are you allowed to say how they use the data? I have a Tesco's card and have for ages and I've always wondered what they do with the info. I know a lot of people don't have loyalty cards for that reason. And I guess they cover themselves in the small print which hardly anybody ever reads.

Go on, scare me! :)

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Well, its not too scary what they do - they analyse EVERYONE really closely and bracket you into types "family with one child, budget shopping, likes to cook" which is eerily accurate. I cant talk too much about data sales etc because things may have changed since my time there, but I do know that under the terrorism act, HMRC are using the data as a way of assessing who lives in peoples houses to check for fraud. There was a big outcry about it last year. Big brother at its best.

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
I'd never really thought about them profiling people, but I guess that makes sense so they can target offers and promotions at us. Interesting about the fraud prevention too.

So my weekly shop can really say a lot about me. A manic mother of one who drinks wine at the weekend and orders a massive amount of chocolate! :p