Feeding the Hoard

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
Does anyone have any inspiration for cheap meal ideas for the family? The healthier the better really as we're all trying to shift the post-Christmas bulk! Thanks!

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
Oh brilliant, I'll take a look at that. Thanks! Now, all I'll have to do is convince them all to eat it. Might have to make pretend microwave noises in the kitchen! :)

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Hi Shalloran. Check out places like WELCOME TO NIGELLA'S WEBSITE as well. They all have forums with real foodies and many, many threads on recipes for feeding the family. My tip is too make a list of what you need for the week and plan out each meal daily, buying in one go and in bulk so you dont have to keep going back - saved me about £20 a week. Also always remember things like not throwing away a chicken carcass - make stock with it. Throw in the leftover roast veg - homemade soup.

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
Thank you, the Nigella site is fab! Funny you mention planning the week ahead as I only just started doing that last week after lapsing and forgetting to do it. It's so much easier and I don't waste anything. I was terrible for forgetting about things in the cupboards and the fridge and then having to bin them after they had gone out of date.

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Hi There

I am chucking some into my blog (only one in there at the moment) but as a quick help, what sort of time do you have and I will post some more up. Glad you like that site - it is one of my favourites!!!

K

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Hi Shalloran, I have just bought a book called something like How to feed your family with very little money (might not be its exact title). Off the top of my head I can't remember the name of the author but you'll be able to find it on amazon and take a look. It seems to be full of mostly good old-fashioned dishes along with a few surprises like nettle soup!! I haven't really given it a go yet so don't take this as a full recommendation from me but have a peek and make your own mind up.