contractors ruined carpet mess everywhere

magicsnooker

Jan 26, 2009
Hi, I have just had cavity wall insulation done through a scheme for my disabled husband. my hall carpet is ruined with thick mud footprints and they told me i had to have a vent in my front room where my husband sleeps downstairs because i have a coal fire. This confused me because i thought that was only needed with a gas fire?? anyway i agreed. To my horror, the hole in the wall was done from inside - the whole room had a thick blanket of orange dust. Everything was covered - bed,bedding, tv, ornaments. wheelchair, medical equipment , computer printer - everything. I contacted the director and he agreed it was unacceptable. no dust sheets were used which they are issued with. He agreed to pay for the carpets to be cleaned and was reluctant. After spending several hours cleaning/dusting, even my curtains could stand up on their own with the dust, I feel more compensation should be given. I have enough to do caring for my husband and basically cleaning the room wore me out. At the end of the day, none of it was my fault. I am goint to write them a letter, stating more should be offered but i am not sure what to write.........Any help please:mad:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, obviously this is absolutely disgusting behaviour these people obviously have no consideration. Who were they?

In terms of compensation, you can only claim direct expenses. For example, getting the carpet cleaned, cleaning the house, repairing anything that was damaged, cost of calls, postage associated, time off work to organise cleaning etc, or even resulting medical conditions either mental or physical.

As you have done the cleaning yourself you could perhaps claim for the amount of time it took you at a reasonable hourly rate.

You should also lodge a complaint with the organisation that pay them the grant. The Council?

I hope this helps

Tony

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
What a nightmare, but useful advice from Tony so hopefully that will help. You should also claim the cost of the cleaning materials you used, and any indirect costs - eg, did you have to pay someone to care for your husband while you cleaned up?

magicsnooker

Jan 26, 2009
Hi, Thanks for your reply - no but I had to move him out of the room - while I should have been caring for him, I was cleaning the room,

YLT Steve

Jan 30, 2009
www.yourlocaltrades.co.uk
What a shame that so called contractors have caused you so much distress.

In a similar situation, we had a brand new carpet in our hallway, we had someone artexing our kitchen ceiling and a couple of blokes upstairs sorting the bathroom, needless to say, the hallway carpet took a direct hit!

We called thier management, stating we will take this as far as possible due to the fact it cost us over £300 not two days before-the issues with the bathroom and kitchen arose AFTER we had the carpet laid, which is just annoying!

Anyway, the following day we had a professional carpet cleaner around to do the business, the manager from the company was also there.
He stated "if this doesnt do it for you, we will replace the carpet"
Cleaning the carpet worked.

In your situation, which is slightly worse due to the inconvienience to you and your husband, i would complain, and keep doing so until you are satisfied with what they propose.
Trading Standards are there for you too.
Alot of people just stay quiet and get on best they can, hence some tradespeople get away with treating consumers badly, so please....moan,moan,moan!

Don't go all guns blazing though! they will deliberately become awkward, be mild mannered and state all your gripes and inconvienience's.

Depending what "trade" they are in, there will be a governing body, this is who you need to contact if they blank you or try to shrug you off.

Hope this helps.

magicsnooker

Jan 26, 2009
Hi Thanks for your reply, I will take your advice and see what happens - T H A N K Y O U !
What a shame that so called contractors have caused you so much distress.

In a similar situation, we had a brand new carpet in our hallway, we had someone artexing our kitchen ceiling and a couple of blokes upstairs sorting the bathroom, needless to say, the hallway carpet took a direct hit!

We called thier management, stating we will take this as far as possible due to the fact it cost us over £300 not two days before-the issues with the bathroom and kitchen arose AFTER we had the carpet laid, which is just annoying!

Anyway, the following day we had a professional carpet cleaner around to do the business, the manager from the company was also there.
He stated "if this doesnt do it for you, we will replace the carpet"
Cleaning the carpet worked.

In your situation, which is slightly worse due to the inconvienience to you and your husband, i would complain, and keep doing so until you are satisfied with what they propose.
Trading Standards are there for you too.
Alot of people just stay quiet and get on best they can, hence some tradespeople get away with treating consumers badly, so please....moan,moan,moan!

Don't go all guns blazing though! they will deliberately become awkward, be mild mannered and state all your gripes and inconvienience's.

Depending what "trade" they are in, there will be a governing body, this is who you need to contact if they blank you or try to shrug you off.

Hope this helps.