annoying telesales

Lyn

Jan 30, 2009
i agreed to place an advert with an advertising company for one advert only i have now been inundated with calls saying i agreed to advertise with them. The company in question said once i paid the £560.00 for the advert this would be the last one and this was put on the invoice. a few days after sending the cheque they rang again sayiny this is about your invoice and asking me to confirm my details. to cut it short they set another bill for £799.00 plus vat saying i agreed to this over the phone i am refusing to pay has anyone else had this happen to them?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Lyn,

It is not really a consumer issue as it is a business-to-business transaction. However, if there is no contract then I don't see how they can demand this payment.

Companies that are struggling may behave in unpredictable ways.

Tony

dizzy lizzie

Jan 22, 2010
I would suggest you contact the company and ask for transcripts and taped copies of the call they are saying you agreed with.

In my experience all calls are recorded both in and out of call centres. If they can't provide this what proof have they got that you agreed?

This type of thing happened to us once with a cold call salesman at our door. We agreed to a contract subject to seeing full paperwork. 3 days later received a call to us asking us if we were happy to go ahread and to agree to a contract over the phone rather than wait for paperwork to arrive.

Once I had asked for said copies and transcipts they cancelled the contract pretty damn quickly as they knew full well we hadn't agreed to anything of the sort.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I've had calls from BT who presumably must know from the records that all I do these days is rent the phone line from them, telling me that as a valued customer they're now offering me an upgrage on my package and would I like to go ahead. I find that all quite cloaks and daggers and makes me very wary. Gone are the days when you trusted your provider.