Paid for 4, received 3

kathyinsweden

Jan 30, 2009
Hi everyone! I recently found a UK online site selling socks which I thought would be ideal gifts for tennis friends. I ordered and paid by Visa debit card. When I opened the packet there were only 3 pairs when I had paid for 4.
I have emailed the company several times and they just won't even get back to me. This is only a matter of £7.50 but its still really annoying and I wonder if they're making this a habit or if it was a genuine mistake. If it was a mistake, why aren't they replying to my e-mails.
Any suggestions?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Kathy,

I am guessing that you are based in Sweden by your username. Is the Visa Debit card with a UK bank? When you say recently is it within 7 days of delivery? Sorry for all the questions.

Tony

kathyinsweden

Jan 30, 2009
Hi Tony, its a Visa with a Swedish bank and I only received the parcel 4 days ago. I usually shop online with my Barclays Visa and get stuff sent to my parents in UK.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Kathy,

Not sure whether you would be covered by the Visa Debit Chargeback Scheme, but hopefully it won't come to that.

They are in breach of Sale of Goods Act -

It is what you expected?

Secondly, if you have bought something on the basis of the seller’s description or a sample, you should expect the item to conform exactly to that description or sample. If it does not, you have the right to reject the goods, demand a full refund and possibly claim damages. This is still the case even where you have selected or examined the items for yourself before buying them.
However, how can you get them not to ignore you? Ultimately you might have to initiate a Small Claim. They need to be an English or Welsh company but again not sure what the requirements are for residency. They can't ignore this, but is it worth it for £7.50.

It might be worth reporting them to their local Trading Standards Office and they would keep it on file and may investigate.

You could cancel the whole order under the distance selling regulations, informing them in writing or by e-mail and returning the goods. If you hear nothing you can initiate a Visa chargeback within 120 days.

Sorry I can't be more help,

Tony