orange mobile

rossirep

Feb 2, 2009
help and advice needed !!!
Had a contract with Orange, cancelled by phone at the end of contract (received a letter from Orange acknowledging) then received a bill for additional months fees. Orange refused to acknowledge my cancellation and have registered a default against my credit profile resulting in my credit cards being cancelled and unable to get a new mortgage. In addition they have passed the alledged debt to a DCA who are now constantly hassling me.
All this for the sake of £30 additional month charge !!!!!!! there are no words to describe how angry I am at their complete abuse :mad::mad::mad:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Orange Complaints Procedure

Hi,

I can understand why you are annoyed!!

First you need to make a formal complaint:

complaint handling process
If you want to make a complaint, firstly you should contact customer services using the details in the contact section at the back of this booklet and speak to us to discuss any problems you may have. In most cases your query will be answered immediately. If you have an issue which is not resolved then you will have the option to discuss the issue with a Customer Service Team Leader and if still unresolved a Customer Service Manager.

alternative dispute resolution procedure
If after contacting us we have not resolved your complaint to your satisfaction within 3 months, or if you have received a letter from us saying that your complaint has reached “deadlock”, you may make a complaint
through CISAS. CISAS will not consider any complaint until one of the conditions for referral has been met. CISAS is an independent alternative dispute resolution scheme which has been approved by Ofcom.
Details of the service are available by contacting Orange customer services or CISAS at the following address.

Communication and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS)
The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
24 Angel Gate
City Road
London
EC1V 2PT
Tel: 020 7421 7432 Text Phone: 020 7242 5643
E-mail: info@cisas.org.uk

Web site: www.arbitrators.org/cisas
from http://www1.orange.co.uk/documents/regulatory_affairs/orange_consumer_codes_of_practice.pdf

rossirep

Feb 2, 2009
Orange are obviously fully clued up on how to avoid any external intervention with disputes over bills as they circumvent them. They have never acknowledged my original complaint, they have never made any attempt to respond too it, they have just used threats of legal action to recover money (£30.15) when that failed they registered a default that didnt work so know they have unleashed the DCA to do their dirty work. External bodies like Ofcom are not interested as Orange have not gone through any kind of internal complaint handling procedure and any complaint to them is now effectively time barred. I think since there seems to be no recourse against these people I think my only option is as much publicity as possible and a court case ... at least others will think twice before using Orange ! and the more revenue they lose the better !

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Firstly, probably not what you want to hear but check your dates carefully, when you cancel a contact you normally have to give 30 days notice, it's quite possible that this 30 days took you over your last payment and therefore you have to pay an additional month.

If you are absolutely sure you have paid them for your notice period as well and therefore owed them nothing then timescales make absolutely no difference because they, and the credit reference agencies processing the default are in breach of the Data Protection Act which states that any data processed must be accurate.

It's not an easy job getting it corrected by any means and i know people don't rate the ICO very highly but if you complain that this data is inaccurate and you still have the acknowledgment from Orange, the onus will be on them to prove they are right, the CRA's will also have to stop processing that info while it i investigated and put a note on your file saying the matter is disputed.

rossirep

Feb 2, 2009
hi thanks for response, dates are correct, this is down to Orange completely-- but they hold all the aces, they have effectively stopped me gaining any form of credit or services, since I have disputed their charges.
So no mortgage changes, no credit cards, credit card facility with large credit limit required for my job, cant move house to work in a new area etc etc etc . My life is now effectively on hold due to these people and even when this default is removed I will be starting my credit history from zero !!!

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
This really isn't going to affect your ability to get credit that seriously and as for you starting from zero once it's sorted I don't know who has told you that but its not true at all, that's not how CRA's work.

I had a similar problem with Vodafone a few years ago and had the default removed by writing to their Board of Directors at their home addresses (available from Companies House) during the time that default was their I increased my mortgage and bought a new car on HP so it may be more likely to be the credit crunch or some other factor (and there are many) stopping you getting credit.

Once the default has been removed, your Credit record will be exactly the same as it was before, I don't know if you have seen one but they give the last three years of payment history (sometimes more) for alllyour financial dealings, including current accounts and they stay on there for 6 years.

I had Vodafone completely remove any reference to my account from the CRA's so I know it can be done and has no lasting effect.

You can get a copy of your credit report for 2 quid from each of the CRA's, may be worth doing to check what else, if anything is on there

rossirep

Feb 2, 2009
I didnt think that it would create so many problems but a dispute of £30 has seen my credit card withdrawn and then given a new spending limit of £300 previously £20k --- bank sights "issues on credit file" Orange being the only "issue" with the default everything else is 100% everything paid up on time since the year dot. Mortgage has also been a problem for the same reason...... and as for the CRAs they are happily going to keep this data and circulate it for the next 6 years so they inform me ........

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
This doesn't sound right at all - as Witch Consumer said, this small debt should not be causing you this much difficulty. Have you explained to your credit card company and mortgage company what the cause of the issue with your credit file is? There was a useful reference to the Data Protection Act above - the other point I'd make is that the DPA gives you the right to request that an organisation ceases processing your personal information if it causes you substantial unwarranted damage or distress, and to claim compensation if they do not.

The Information Commissioner has a guide to making a complaint to it. I'd try giving them a call - their helpline is very good and is at 08456 30 60 6

madcat

Jun 27, 2009
Orange Mobile problems

Hi

I am fairly new to Orange (having been overseas a few years) and just getting familiar with cell networks over here but am having some significant problems with them which i would appreciate any advice with. I came across this thread while googling for any information.

I bought I PAYG phone from Orange (Sony Ericsson W302) in April but wanted to switch to a SIM Only plan because of my circumstances changing - no other phone and topping up every week. Orange said that was fine and sold me another SIM card, signed me up on a monthly plan and said it would work immediately in the phone if I just put it in. However it did not - the phone activated a security lock code that prevented the different SIM card from being used. Only the PAYG card works. Repeated calls to customer services have not resolved it or provided a working unlock code. The Orange retail store became abusive and claimed I had somehow locked the phone and therer was nothing Orange would do. Customer services claimed it was up to the retail store to send it off but they refused. I have canceled the SIM only contract but Orange refused to cancel the first month payment - even though I have been unable to use the card because they have locked the phone to PAYG. I am now faced with the dual problem of still trying to get the phone unlocked (because it is costing me a fortune on PAYG) and the possibility of Orange pursuing me for £20 payment for a service I never received (as I cancelled the DD from the bank). Having read the experience of previous people with Orange customer service I am not all that hopeful of a useful outcome.

I have already emailed a complaint to the executive email address but my immediate concern is that I am unwell and disabled just out of hospital living with very little money and trying to secure permenant accommodation so I have a lot going on already - this situation created by Orange (and frankly I feel very bullied by them) has really made things much worse. I would really appreciate any advice on the best a quickest way of resolving any of this mess.