Refund problem with ScS sofa retailer

danchapman888

Feb 2, 2009
I would love any advice anyone can give me on the below problem. Thanks in advance.

I purchased a sofa from ScS in September 2008 on finance (finance with Creation Finance). After 10 weeks the sofa was delivered. In the first week we notified ScS that the sofa's brown dye was coming off on our clothes. ScS took 8 weeks to finally offer a replacement or a refund. They have stopped selling our sofa so we would need to choose a new one.

My two main issues are, ScS have offered to pay nothing in compensation/good-will towards the new sofa and if I want a refund they will pick the sofa up in 7 days, leaving no time to buy from another retailer.

I have a baby and cannot do without a sofa for 10 weeks the time it will take to order Sofa from another retailer but ScS are insisting on picking up the sofa in 7 days or they will assume I want to keep the sofa. I have said I want to keep it until I get a new one or they can pay for me to rent a sofa while I wait...both options they have rejected. If I choose a replacement with ScS they said I can keep the existing sofa until the replacement is delivered.

What are my rights?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
SCS Sofa

Hi Dan,

There is no provision in law for the payment of compensation unless it is a claim for damages. In order to get this you would have to show damage to property, economic loss or personal injury.

Have a look at this:

Damages payable to consumers who are victims of dodgy builders | Consumer Information

Again there is no provision in law to say that you shouldn't be inconvenienced when you are refunded. However, you shouldn't have to pay any costs.

Having said this it is pretty poor customer service and if it were me I would let you hang onto the sofa for a few weeks.

I know this is not what you want to hear.

Tony