Boiler repair problems

mjtoal

Feb 3, 2009
Boiler went out a few weeks back. Called a plumber from a large repair company who billed per hour, he called out and looked at it, said it needed a new part but he couldn't fix it today. Said new part should be available in 2 days, and he would repair that day (Friday). Called at 5pm Thurs, said part not available until Monday, sorry, nothing else he can do. I was rather unhappy with this, so called British Gas, guy came out did temporary repair and we had heat and hot water again.

On Monday, original guy comes back, fits new part (pump costing £250) but after several hours unable to get boiler working again. Says nothing he can do, he is off home and he'll get back to us. Wife calls me at work before he leaves, and I advise plumber he should put it back the way he got it and we were not paying anything at all until it is fixed and even then only a fair sum to be negotiated. Plumber sticks at it and eventually gets it fixed.

He agrees he will not tot up bill but will ask head office to call to discuss fair compromise. He acknowledges it shouldn't have taken that amount of time.

2 weeks later no word from head office until they call and ask where their money was. They present bill for £1007 for part plus 8 hours work, but say they have reduced time billed to 7.5 hours.

There is no way I am paying £1000 for what should have been a simple repair of 1-1.5 hours, total with parts around £400.

Any suggestions or advice?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

Apologies just seen this. This is a disgrace I am sure you could have had a new boiler installed for that amount of money.

Have a look at this guide:

Charged an unreasonable price for building work, contract for services | Consumer Information

This contract is a distance selling contract and this information will also be useful:

If the work started with your permission and the supplier has not provided you with the compulsory pre-contractual information prior to their starting, you may still have your right to cancel and get a full refund even though the work has been completed!
Mail order goods - your right to cancel | Consumer Information