Debt Collection Agencies

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I came across this website today from Credit Collections (UK) Ltd - creditcollections.co.uk/submitadebt.asp

The thing that struck me is that anybody can start a debt collection process against anybody else using a simple form - which is not encrypted.

Anyone know what regulations cover this industry, which is probably booming at the moment.:mad:

Tony

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
You will notice that is only guidance Tony, not regulations, it has been used many times against DCA's tho, printingnait off nd highlighting the relevant sections and sending it to the DCA with a complaint letter usually works pretty well ;)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
A member of this forum received a request for payment from Credit Collections UK Ltd but owe the supplier nothing. This goes against these guidelines:
False representation of authority and/or legal position
f. pursuing third parties for payment when they are not liable
I'll suggest they do what you recommend,

Tony

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
Oh my god, that's awful. I've been appalled at some of the tactics uncovered by Watchdog lately, namely the companies chasing up non-existent debts. It's outrageous. Seems like it's only going to get worse as companies become more and more desperate to claw money from somewhere.

Hopefully, somebody will start getting tough on these people.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
And yet when companies go bust and leave outstanding debts, it's sometimes impossible for creditors to get their money back. I was talking to a friend of mine who is a freelance designer - he was owed money by a printing company which went bust, and it turned out that they had so many creditors, there was no way they were all going to get reimbursed. Seems like a very uneven playing field between consumer and corporate debt.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
There are rules regarding the order of repayment.

The prescribed order of priority as set out in the Insolvency Act 1986 (“IA86”).

1 – Preferential Creditors (certain categories of employee claims)
2 – Prescribed Part distribution to Unsecured Creditors (includes customers, suppliers and fitters) this is capped at £600,000 in accordance with the IA86 to share equally between ALL unsecured creditors.
3 - The Secured Lenders (who have registered charges over the Company or its assets)
4 – Unsecured Creditors (includes customers, suppliers and fitters)

In certain circumstances the requirement to make the ‘Prescribed Part’ available is removed by the High Court.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Debt Collection Agency

I came across this website today from Credit Collections (UK) Ltd - creditcollections.co.uk/submitadebt.asp

The thing that struck me is that anybody can start a debt collection process against anybody else using a simple form - which is not encrypted.

Anyone know what regulations cover this industry, which is probably booming at the moment.:mad:

Tony
Catriona had put together some advice on Debt Collection Agencies:

Debt Collection Agencies | Consumer Information
Default, Arrears and Debt Collection Agencies | Consumer Information

I thought it would be of interest to this thread

Tony

JoeBoy

Dec 29, 2009
In January 2009, a friend of mine cancelled her AOL Broadband and moved to a new ISP. Somewhat to her surprise, everything went smoothly ... until June, when she received a dunning letter from a debt collection agency, called Advantis, warning her that her debt (of about £90) to AOL must be paid in full immediately in order to avoid legal action.

This was the first she’d ever heard of any “debt” - she was quite sure she didn't owe AOL anything. Suspecting a scam (she is a pensioner, so a fairly likely target), she googled “Advantis scam,” which led her to two very useful websites (this one, and a BBC Watchdog one). From these she was able to put together a “prove it” letter, like this:

Dear Sir/Madam
I have received a letter from you today, in which you claim to be acting on behalf of AOL to collect a debt.
To the best of my knowledge, no such debt exists.
As you are aware, under the terms of OFT Guidance you are in breach if you pursue third parties for payments for which they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.
Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment, and is actionable under law.
Under law, you are required to provide me, within 28 days of receipt of this letter, a copy of the original statement of account showing how this amount has been calculated, or else your confirmation in writing that this matter is now closed.
I instruct you not to contact me again other than to prove that this debt is owed, or to confirm that the matter is now closed. If you do so, you will be in breach, and I will immediately make a formal complaint to your company, to the Trading Standards Department, and to the OFT.
Yours faithfully

The result was satisfactory: Advantis immediately wrote back, saying they were dropping the claim. Lesson one: calling their bluff can work. At the same time, she wrote to AOL, asking them what this supposed debt was, and why they hadn't simply asked her, even once, to pay it, before passing it to a debt collection agency. No reply was ever received from AOL.

So that was that ... until July, when another debt collection gang, calling itself “SRJ Debt Recoveries,” phoned her, chasing the same non-existent debt - a call which my friend (who is ex-directory, by the way) found so threatening that she was left shaking and in tears. The man who phoned warned her darkly that “This isn't going to go away, you know,” but when she asked him for his name, he refused to give it, and when she insisted, he hung up the phone. (Just to stress the point: these are the kind of people that a major company like AOL chooses to do business with.)

This was followed up by a letter from the same company, warning that “Our client, AOL, has attempted to contact you on numerous occasions to arrange payment terms on the above outstanding debt. As you have failed to respond to correspondence, we have found it necessary to make tracing enquiries for confirmation of your current place of residence. It has been confirmed that you are in fact resident at the above address, and therefore we have concluded that you are choosing to ignore the repeated requests for payment. In the circumstances we are instructed that court proceedings should be issued without further delay.”

By now, she was really quite frightened. This seemed like some kind of Kafkaesque nightmare from which it was hard to imagine how to escape. Remember, AOL had never contacted her about this debt - naturally enough, since the debt didn't exist!

She wrote another “prove it” letter, this time to the new debt recovery mob, and wrote again to AOL. AOL never replied. Incredibly, SRJ phoned again - luckily, thanks to call screening, she knew who it was and didn’t answer. In desperation, she wrote to her local MP, asking for his help. This did the trick: the harassment stopped, and AOL eventually wrote to her admitting that she didn’t owe them anything, and offering a somewhat half-hearted apology.

Lesson two: get your MP involved immediately; these companies evidently respond to MPs, but they don’t respond to mere customers. Presumably, that is a matter of policy.

Hilariously, the letter from AOL’s Head of Complaints also promised that “Your feedback has been duly noted,” and that the company was committed to “listening to our members.” Even more hilariously, they said they were unable to reply directly to the MP, due to data privacy regulations ... which doesn’t seem to have worried them when they were commissioning debt collection agencies to chase fictional debts.

On reflection, my friend really didn't feel this was good enough; she wrote to AOL again, asking whether they planned to compensate her, if not for the weeks of considerable mental distress which their alleged clerical error had caused her, at least for the time and money she had been forced to spend on all those letters and phone calls. No, was AOL’s reply, because the policy was that “AOL Broadband do not compensate for resolving the complaint.”

So ... an incredible series of barely believable mistakes? Or a scam, which relies on a percentage of frail victims paying up simply to make the thing go away? I have no idea. One thing I do know is, anyone who has anything to do with AOL UK is an idiot.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
That's pretty frightening stuff. I find it hard to remember who I am paying what to etc and can see that it would be easy to fall for a non existent debt claim.

Sep 21, 2011
Debt Collection is nothing other than demanding money with menaces. I have had my fair share of dealings with DCA's, they are rude, unprofessional, discourteous and invasive.

As for the so called debts I have been chased for, each and everyone of the DCA's that has chased me has been got rid of with one single letter.
It's a templated letter, all written in "Legalese", (thats like Chinese, a language in it's own class, a class they don't want you to take).

All DCA's are scum, they exist for one reason only, to extort and bully.
Well, I learned a lot about bullies in my high school days, you stand up to them, they go away, you give in and give them your pocket money, they'll be back, everyday, without fail, to relieve you of your hard earned!....Not me!
A swift theoretical punch on the nose gets shot of DCA's, Solicitors and various other companies employed in "debt collection".
Simply do not communicate with these ba****ds, Do not phone them, do not write to them, make no contact whatsoever. Most attempts of collection by DCA's is called "Fishing", they will go through every "John Smith" they can find until a John Smith answers them, Bingo!

I no longer answer the door, so many ar*****es out there want money, by way of charity, debt collection, sales, etc.
Money is not real.
The "economy" is fake.
Our leaders lead no one.
Change is coming, change for the better.

Oh and as for the BBC, abolish TV Licensing now! ( I do not own or watch TV).
Namaste

bk24

Dec 4, 2012
I have an ongoing issue with 1 and 1 over a cancelled account but they still seek payment under an automatic contract renewal clause which I was not aware of. The amount is not great and I really have not got the time to deal with this. Trying to contact 1 and 1 is proving difficult. I recently heard from a DCA so clearly my emails also are not being read. A bit of a mess to prove anything either way! (where do I join the club to abolish Auto Contract Renewals?)

So I am coming round to just wanting to pay. However, could anyone say if I am within my rights to arrange a payment by cash at a certain time (say midnight!) in a certain place (remote) which will for sure cost the DCA to get to and from.

Thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I think the OFT are looking into this very matter at the moment.

Put the debt into dispute by emailing or writing to the company and getting either a received receipt via email or a proof of postage (or recorded delivery receipt if you're a member of the ALewis Post Office Appreciation Society) then when any DCA's contact you, simply write and tell them the debt is in dispute and they have to refer it back to their client, bit of a pain in the derrier but they have to do it cos the OFT say so.

If the DCA continues to hassle you, report them to the OFT as they have a code of conduct to work to and if they don't they could lose their licence.

Definitely more fun than paying a dodgy DCA :D