Money saving ideas for students

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Well I am not a student, but I wish someone had given me some pointers when I was at university. Anyway, here goes:

1. Create a weekly budget for yourself and stick to it. One good way to do this is to get the cash you need for the week from the bank and don't spend anything on credit or debit cards. If you are not disciplined enough to do this, send your student loan to your parent and ask them to send you a weekly allowance by standing order.
2. Don't blow your student loan on a new stereo

Any more...

Jeddo

Facilitator
Jun 21, 2008
3. Set aside a booze budget... Well, just a thought ;-)

4. Buy your course books second-hand and resell them when you're done with them.

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
If you are musical...join a band. When I was a student at York Uni, I made a lot of cash at weekends by playing drums with my band. More importantly, the landlord often gives you a free run at the beer tap...so you are saving as well as earning!

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
Learn to cook!!

Back in the dim and distant when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was at uni we did a little experiment.
One of the girls in my house was always complaining she had no money and why did I have some..well I went shopping with her and I can tell you why she had no money.
She always brought microwave meals , frozen chips etc and always brand stuff rather than the cheaper non-branded items.

If you go down to the supermarket compare the price of a bag of oven chips to a bag of potatoes, the potatoes are nine times out of ten cheaper {unless they're the hand picked by peruvian maidens and specially flown to your door before they were even planted sort.}

Making chips isn't that hard, all you do is peel them , cut them then par boil them for a few minutes in a bit of stock. Drain them and coat them in oil {pour a bit in the pan , put the lid on and give it a good shake, this is the point you'll find out if you've boiled them for too long!} then bung what you want in the oven and put the rest in bags in the freezer.

On the same lines, get good with soups , anything chopped up and cooked in stock then blended will be a soup. Whats even better is if you can keep the same pan going and just keep adding to it. I often used to have a pan going on the stove and if someone wanted feeding then I'd just say 'bring over some carrots , an onion or some bread' add it to the soup and do them some up to eat and to take home.

Batch cook , cook lots then freeze what you don't want. This means you can go to things like wholesalers and get bigger packs of stuff for cheaper and save time because you're not cooking every night.

Find your local market/butchers/greengrocers , not only will you save money and make friends but you will also support smaller producers and be ecologically sound if you're buying local produce. I have always loved going to my local market early in the morning, doing my shopping and having chats with people then treating myself to a dirty bacon sandwhich in the local cafe!

best of luck.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
3. Get a job in a supermarket - I worked at KwikSave when I was a student. The wages weren't great but what was great was that staff could buy any marked-down products at the end of the day for next-to-nothing (for 5p or 10p).

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
I think that the age of being ablew to do this sort of buying heavily doscounted food that is going out of date is almost passed. I know that Marks and Spencers have stopped doing this...all in order to protect themselves against being sued for food poisoning I expect.

Just another indication of how over officiousness is steadily eroding the pleasures in life!

bmd

Nov 27, 2008
I am a student at the moment and the best way I have found to save money on a regular basis is taking my lunch with me to uni, i know it sounds sad sitting there with your home made sandwiches but it saves £3-4 a day by the time you have bought a sandwich and a drink.

Superbutter

Jan 26, 2009
I am currently a student and i downloaded one of those applications to my phone that bypasses the network and only cost me 2p to text my friends in the UK. It's all perfectly legal and saves me topping up my phone every week! :D

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Superbutter,

What's the name of the application. I use www.18185.co.uk which allows you to send texts for 1p. They don't have a phone application, but if you unlimited internet access from your phone you could use it.

Tony

Superbutter

Jan 26, 2009
Hey Tony,
The application i use is FishText. Its pretty handy as you open the application as if you were opening a text, you need internet access to open the application though.
It's amazing how phone networks charge so much when you can find these services that offer much cheaper prices!

EarthCitizen

Jan 27, 2015
Quick tips: use a pushbike whenever possible, public transport fares add up. As someone below said, prepare your own lunches/meals at home if going in to college; cheaper and, with a little thought, much healthier. Don't use gyms, find a training/running partner, this is also helped by the number of open air gyms there are around. Second-hand shops - a dream, but only buy stuff which actually fits, I personally avoid second-hand shoes. Oh, and don't be tempted to go 'home' too often if you live far away from your folks: you're probably missing out on a whole lot of fun.