BBC Watchdog: Food intolerance test

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Our very own Julia Bradbury went under cover to reveal how a 'food intolerance' test, available from high street gyms, spas and chemists, is a waste of money.

It's called the Kymatika K-Test and is marketed as a 'revolutionary' non-invasive way to diagnose food intolerances. The test costs on average £30, and, according to the company that developed it, is the culmination of three and a half years of dedicated research.

However, when Julia took the test twice in the same afternoon, she got very different results.

Tricks your body
At a branch of Superdrug in London, Julia was asked to sit down and place her hand on a black box with her fingers resting on special pads. A nurse told Jules the machine "would bombard your body with 40 different sequences, so it tricks your body into thinking you've had forty different foods".

A few minutes later the test was complete. Jules paid £30 and left the Superdrug with a print out of her results. They showed she had no actual intolerances, but did have a 'sensitivity' to onions.

Different results
Later that afternoon Jules tried the test again, this time at an independent chemist in another part of London. It looked like the same black box, and the same procedure, but the results were completely different.

This time Jules was advised she did have intolerances, and should actually cut out certain foods from her diet. These included milk, lager, apples, bananas, garlic and onions.

Other members of the Watchdog team also each sat the test several times. They were all given different results each time.

No medical proof
Dr. Ben Goldacre, author of Bad Science, was not surprised at the inconsistency of the results. He says there is no medical proof to show that the test is reliable: "I would have very serious concerns about any nurse or pharmacist who was endorsing this frankly ridiculous voodoo science product. The bottom line is they have presented no evidence to show this machine diagnoses food intolerance."

He also expressed his concern that the test was being made available at all: "I think it could be practically harmful because people will exclude food groups that they don't need to. People may have a genuine medical problem which gets missed because of this theatrical machine."

Catherine Collins is the Principle Dietician at St George's Hospital in London. She's also concerned about the K-Test: "It gives you food exclusions which are not as a result of any proper scientific scrutiny. Following the advice long term could mean developing nutritional deficiencies."

Superdrug's response
When Watchdog contacted Superdrug they said: "At the time of going to market we believed it was the best test available on the high street without the patient having to take a blood test. The test is easy for the patient and links into an online nutritionist via the Kymatika website. We make it clear to our customers that this test is intended to indicate food intolerances and sensitivities: it's not an allergy test and it's not a medical device. If there's a pre-diagnosed condition or if symptoms persist, a doctor should be consulted.
"As with any customer feedback, we will review the information provided by the BBC before making a decision.*Every product or service that Superdrug offers its customers goes through a rigorous quality control process before the decision is taken to stock it. Kymatika provided us with evidence and testimonials from an extensive trial carried out using over 500 people. We 've also been provided with subsequent studies as they've been completed."

Food intolerance test

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
I do think this is a definite case of Emperor's new clothes. It's so expensive too! I'm not exactly sure what a food intolerance is. I understand food allergies. If a food causes you real problems then surely you can spot that straight away and cut it out of your diet. I'm a bit cynical when it comes to this kind of thing, but maybe I'm lucky in that I have the costitution of an ox! :)

frdjns74

Feb 18, 2009
I seen that it is shocking that people have to pay for this test and have no reliability what so ever!

Kimboha

Feb 23, 2009
I have a food intollerance but paid significantly more and gave a blood sample. I think this is the only way to find out for sure if you have an intollerance or not. Mine is unfortunately cows milk and after 2 years of knowing this, i do feel tons better than i used to.
I think if you dont have one, you are a) really lucky and b) might find it harder to understand what it is like having one.

This box however sounds like a con and i feel sorry for those who have taken their results and changed their lifestyle because of it.