Top Up TV - beware

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I've already posted about this on Money Saving Expert in response to another person's problem, but wanted to copy and paste it here so you are all wary of what Top Up TV could do to you... My story starts yesterday....

I've had the same issue as the original poster.

My brother got a box (which he wanted to watch Setanta Sports) and went to pay his £20 connection fee, however they are currently insisting that you use a credit card to make this payment. He doesn't have one so asked me if I could pay it. No problem. I nipped around his house, he gave me a twenty pound note and dialled. Answered the usual questions, then handed the phone to me to pay.

I was asked the usual questions about whether it was my card, if I understand £20 was going to be deducted etc. etc. etc.

That was in November. My latest credit card statement came in the post today and I noticed that Top Up TV had deducted £9.99 from my account on the 6th Febuary. I checked my other statements and in December they took £14.98 and another £9.99 in January.

(If you're wondering why I didn't notice before, I pay my balance off in full every month and pretty much know how much I've spent on my card, so I glance at the total on the statement and estimate whether it is correct... a tenner won't make much of a difference to my mental arithmetic)

I checked whether my brother had ordered any extra packages (and for some reason they were debiting my card) but they weren't, so I picked up the phone this evening.

Interestingly enough as I made the initial payment and could answer security questions about my brother they added me as a registered contact on the account there and then.....

Anyway, the excuse I was given was that along with his Setanta Sports season ticket he was given a month free trial of Top Up TV Anytime. If he didn't want it he would have to call within 30 days to cancel.

I refuted that and said I was stood next to him and don't recall him mentioning that, and when I gave my card details I was not told about any ongoing debit from my account.

(Incidentally, under what authorisation can they debit my account like this? They have not set up a standing order or a direct debit)

I was told that we would have been told (of course) etc. etc. etc. However, after asking about recording calls I was told that they would still have this call on file so they can hear for themselves how this was never mentioned.

I have to call back tomorrow, speak to cancellations to give them 30 days notice for Top Up TV Anytime and then write to them with copies of my bank statements to ask for my £40 back. Not a chance. If they don't agree to pass me my money back tomorrow I will raise the issue with both my credit card provider and let Watchdog know of how they are still chancing it.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
And continuing to today's story...

Just to update, today they suddenly refused to discuss it with me as it wasn't my account... changed their tune slightly there. I reminded them several times that the money was coming from MY account but they said that the Data Protection Act prevented them from stopping the payments as the account with them wasn't in my name.

Like hell!!

I firmly stated that they had to stop taking money from my account, they had my brother's contact details so could chase him for future payments if that's what they really wanted. Eventually they backed down and cancelled the payments from my account but said that my brother would have to call them himself to initiate any investigation into the matter. Normally you have to write in or e-mail to cancel a package but they said that in this instance they would allow a phone call to suffice.

It was also reiterated several times that both my brother and I would have been told that Top Up TV Anytime would start charging to my card in 30 days time. I had to state once again that at no point was I told.

My brother called them later and they agreed to immediately refund one of the months charges and will listen back to the registration call to determine what was said. I look forward to receiving the rest of my owed money back and (you never know) an apology....

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
This is terrible, if you are interested you can do a Subject Access Request and request a copy of the recording - they can only charge £10.

If cancellation rights are not made clear you have 30 days rather than the standard 7 days and this would need to be in writing. I believe the only exemption is reverse call charges. Best practice for phone orders is to confirm in writing with clear cancellation information provided.

Tony

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/cooling-off-and-cancellations/

Last edited:

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
That's the other thing they are claiming, that they sent my brother a 'welcome pack' detailing all of this. He's never received one but assumed that as he wasn't in effect 'subscribed' to anything right now that was normal.

I'm not trying to say it makes a huge difference, but my brother is VERY intelligent - if he tells me that on the phone they didn't mention anything about this extra package I believe him. Despite only hearing one side of the conversation I didn't hear any mention of it.

And I know for a fact that when they handed me the phone they asked if I was happy for a £20 connection fee to come from my account. It is nonsensical that I would have agreed to ongoing charges, and if they were mentioned I would have clarified and said no, I'm only happy to pay the connection fee and no more.

If they try claiming we did agree to it I will definitely ask for the recording.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is really poor customer service to say the least. If I were them I would just give the money back, that way you might use their service in the future rather than Sky or NTL and not go on to the web and tell thousands about the poor service from Setanta (bloody stupid name anyway)

Tony

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Just to update, they've agreed to refund the whole amount within the next 7 days, although neither of us got an apology....

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for the update, so they haven't managed to turn the situation around. The best organisation use complaints to their advantage by going the extra mile.

Bobby

Mar 6, 2009
BEWARE OF TOP UP TV!!!
Here is my story. I bought my Thompson DVR from Argos in September 2008. The deal was £100 for the unit + free Setanta Sports for one year. It also had an "optional" 1 month free Top Up TV offer, with an ongoing contract if selected. There was also a £20 connection fee.
Got home, 1st T/C to Top Up Tv - first thing they did was help me validate the viewing card. I couldn't find the correct number to give them, so ended call to go and find it.
2nd call, 20 minutes later. Spoke with a friendly guy, who helped me register and took my card details to pay the £20 connection fee...WARNING!!!!! THIS WAS MY FIRST MISTAKE!!!! I gave them my DEBIT CARD details for this. Not my credit card, and not setting up a direct debit, just my debit card number and sort code. Anyway paid the £20 connection fee, then the nice man said he had sorted Setanta for me and would I like Top Up Tv as well. I specifically stated to him that "I DO NOT WANT TOP UP TV. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ME TOP UP TV. NO 1 MONTH FREE DEAL, THANKS. He sounded disappointed but that was that. (Or so I thought).
Unit + package then worked fine on the whole, just in case, I deselected all the Top Up TV channels on my favourites page. I had no need for them, no interest, I only wanted the football for my son
Fast forward to February 2009. I get online banking for the first time. I have a look at my old statements. That's funny, I think, what's that charge for £19.99 for back in October? And then I see a monthly debit of £9.99 coming out of my account for November, Dec, January - all attributed to Top Up Tv Ltd. I call them straight away, it was a Saturday- tell them their mistake. Very unhelpful girl says I will have to send them a copy of my phone bill to "prove" I had called to cancel my subscription. Eh? I said. But I never ordered Top Up TV. In fact I specifically STATED on the phone I didn't want it. Girl didn't want to know and we fell out and I gave up.
T/C to my Bank. I tell them Top Up Tv are removing money illegally from my account without my permission via a debit action each month. I ask the bank guy if he can stop this for me please. Incredibly, he says there is nothing they can do. He advises me to sort it out directly with Top Up TV!
Called Top Up TV again on Monday. Very helpful woman listened to me and believed me and apologises. She spent ages checking their system and then said my details had been entered twice on their system. So that explained it. She then said she would put a note on their system to explain what had happened, but she would need to put me through to technical dept to end subscription. Chat to guy in technical - he says you do realize there's a 1 month wait before you can cancel? I start to fizz and tell him again what has happened. He accepts this and cancels me but he can't give me a refund, I will need to write to them explaining what happened.
So I try this. I write them a nice letter, explaining what happened. I tell them I like Setanta, and will probably subscribe when the free period ends, however I am understandably aggrieved at them taking money from my account without my permission and can I have it back please. I explain the duplicate account theory their rep had advised me of. I get letter back 2 weeks later basically denying duplicate account theory, that they have no record of my cancellation phone call and if I want to be "considered" for a refund, I will have to send them copy of phone bill to "prove" I called them to cancel!
How can I prove I called them to cancel when I didn't order something in the first place! Incredible! I then write a further letter, saying I've tried to be amicable but I am now demanding my money back, and I threaten to take a Small Claims Action via the Sherriff Court (Scotland) to get my money back + expenses. I have used this action to great effect in the past against The Bed Shed (another story).
I have just received a letter back from them. And I quote .......
"Thank you for contacting Top Up Tv. We have searched our records of a call made by yourself using the mobile number on your account for September 2009. No call can be traced. Our system states that you registered with us on X September through our website. (LIES!!!!)
The subscription package you selected was to receive Setanta Sports1 and Top Up TV Anytime.(MORE LIES!!!!)
A welcome pack was sent out to you shortly after detailing your package and monthly billing pattern.(I RECEIVED NOTHING!!! MORE LIES!!!!)
It is under these circumstances that no refund of payments can be made to you.
Yours sincerely,
Top Up TV Customer Services " End Quote
I was aware of issues others have had with Top Up TV and Setanta and after googling, found this thread on here. Always good to know it's not just you having the problem. Am glad others are having success but for me, I guess I will just need to go down the Small Claims option, and will let you know how I get on. It's incredulous that these people can get away with taking money out of your account and there's nothing you can do to stop it. If you are reading this and thinking of subscribing to Top Up TV or Setanta please please please DO NOT give them your DEBIT CARD details under any circumstances, for any reason. At least you can cancel a direct debit or a credit card payment, they have totally shafted me because I gave them my debit card details, be warned people.
I hope more people come forward and tell their story, I have no doubt there will be many others.
Oh and I will be repeating my story in as many places online as possible, also a wee chatty email to Watchdog and as many consumer rights sites as I can find. Will also continue with the court action. You chose the wrong guy Top UP TV!!! Any other advice would be gratefully received X

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Bobby,

What is scary are there is quite scary echoes in both of our stories.... one customer service agent telling you one thing and another telling you something else (in my case, I was told I had been made a named contact on the account, then the next day told I couldn't), regular payments being taken with no authorisation, claims that a welcome pack was sent out etc.

I've received all but one month of the charges back, which I am now having to get my brother to query on my behalf.

Bobby

Mar 6, 2009
Thanks Tony, great to know it's not just me experiencing problems with Top Up TV.

Chutzpah, thank you so much for posting your story - I finally felt vindicated as soon as I read about your experience - yours and mine are almost identical.
Top Up TV are either incredibly incompetent or extremely devious - I have never experienced such god awful customer service before.

Anyway, having now been inspired by the support from you guys, I have started a blog! It's called Top Up TV Is Terrible and can be found here on blogspot -

w.topuptvisterrible.blogspot dot com

I don't have enough posts here yet to leave direct link - apologies.

I only started blog last night but it will get better. I will continue it as an online diary, and will post all my letters and experiences taking these swines on. It's not about the money for me now, it's the principal. How dare Top Up TV actually lie to me and accuse me of lying. My small claims court action should be interesting - if Top Up TV ignore it, I will win, and I will post this on my blog. if they defend it, which I hope they do (but doubt they will ) I can't wait to post this for all to see - not gonna look too good taking on a customer in court, but if my 50 pounds means that much to them I wish them all the best.

Cheers guys : )

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Here is the link: Top Up TV Is Terrible

To promote your blog you should try to get as many links as possible from other related blogs and websites and keep adding content to keep the search engines coming back.

Tony