Intrum Justitia and Natwest

Simonwc

Feb 19, 2009
I sent a Subject Access Request letter to Intrum, and they sent me a letter back and my £10 fee. I asked them to include a full and detailed breakdown of what they say I owe, as the total amount they have given me is a lot more than I first thought. Their reply said that they don’t have the information I requested. They are now saying that they can send me all of the information that they currently have about me, by sending another direct SAR form to Intrum. Or I can send another letter, for Intrum to pass on to Natwest to get all of the information from them regarding a full detailed description of what I owe.

I am not disputing the fact that I owe money to Natwest, but would like question the amount. I am willing to setup a payment plan once I know all of details.

Can anyone advise on what I should do next? I have been hoping someone would have replied sooner, and are now worried that Intrum will take this further without giving me the information that I want.

Many Thanks
Simon

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Simon,

Not sure I can be of much help. I think the important thing is to keep the communication channels open and let them know what your concerns are and do as they suggest with regards to SAR.

Tony

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
First question I have is how old is the debt, IJ have a habit of popping up to try and collect on debts outside the 6 year statute of limitations.

Secondly if you have sent them an SAR then by law they have to send you all information they hold on you, thats why the wording of an SAR is quite important, never ask for statements or info pertaining to a particular account, always ask for all information they hold. Returning your £10 fee does not absolve them of this duty. If you letter was particular to this outstanding debt, then for clarity, you should send them another requesting all information.

As far as NatWest is concerned, send another SAR to them, not to IJ, again asking for all info and enclosing £10, I suspect their info and IJ's info won't quite tie in!!!

IJ are an in-house debt collector btw, also trade as Face2Face and are part of the RBS group.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Advice on SARs

I don't know much about debt collection, but I do happen to hold an ISEB qualification in data protection law (gained due to a sudden requirement for me to know all about it for work) so will see if I can help. I'm confused about them returning your fee - not complying with a subject access request is not an option. It's the law that any organisation receiving a SAR has to comply within 40 calendar days - there isn't a "send the money back and don't worry about it" option.

Because they haven't complied with your request, the clock is still ticking on it, so by now they may be in breach of the Data Protection Act. The organisation that enforces it is the Information Commissioner, but they won't get involved until you've done everything you can to resolve it yourself.

So I'd say write back to them pointing out that they have not complied with the law in processing your SAR and enclosing your cheque again. If that doesn't work, write to them again asking for details of their complaints process and follow that. After that you could contact the Commissioner and complain.

Have a look here for more info and good luck.