Kitchen Return

zebeddy

Feb 20, 2009
Hi

I received our new kitchen 13 days ago and have just started building it.
Having looked at it I am not happy that the quality is up to scratch. When we bought it, the salesman only showed us the doors. However the units do not look great quality so I would like to return it and get a refund.
My question is this: How long do I have to return it before my rights run out?

I have read the rights in regards to quality but it doesn't mention a time frame.
Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

David

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi David,

Apologies, I have only just seen this. From my personal experience the carcasses are often of a poorer quality than the doors.

The Sale of Goods Act covers you for 6 years in England and Wales, but the more time that elapses the worse your case. Ideally, you would reject on delivery or shortly after.

Quality depends on the nature of the good, price paid, and what a reasonable person would think. In the first instance, you are better off speaking to the retailer to see if they can do anything for you.

Tony

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Also bear in mind that the most common way for them to get out of paying you back is to claim damage done during install. It might not help you now but it is worth photographing all the parts when they arrive to protect yourself.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Usually retailers will have some sort of statement on the back of their receipts about returns - does it say anything about refunds and replacements? It does sound like one that you need to take up with the retailer. Good luck.

zebeddy

Feb 20, 2009
Hi Tony

Thanks for the advice. I have looked into it and sent a mail back to the kitchen company stating I was not happy with the goods and would like a refund. I have now discovered that the company's Customer Service section can only be emailed or faxed, there is no phone number you can get hold of them on.
Also, as stupid as I now feel, we paid cash for the kitchen so I cannot even speak to a credit card company about this.
I have mailed them three times and faxed them once but still no reply. Having looked at other customer repsonses on the Net, it seems that their Customer Service 'team' seldom get back to you.
I would have thought that I have the right to return the kitchen for any reason if I decide I would not like it irrelevent of its quality in the first few weeks (maybe I am wrong). Even if this is not the case, I am not too happy with the quality anyway so would prefer a refund and to just move on.
What can I do from here? I feel I could email these people for a year and not get a response. Feeling a bit duped and stupid now :-(
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated
David

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Oh no Tony, is there a furniture or kitchen ombudsman that can advise you. I know of the Furniture Ombudsman, they can be found through the Fira website, but I am not certain if they cover kitchens.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Oh dear, it's not sounding good. Obviously this highlights that it's probably sensible to use a credit card when making a major purchase, but that doesn't help you right now. I'd suggest getting some advice on your rights - try Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06, or maybe your local Trading Standards office, which you can find at Trading Standards Institute - Home page.

Hope you get somewhere with it.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi David,

You only have a cancellation right if you change your mind when the purchase is covered by the distance selling regulations i.e. online, telephone, doorstep etc.

It wasn't Rock Solid Kitchens, was it? There is lots of bad press about them....

You can reject goods based on quality, but what is quality? It is what a reasonable person thinks it is. It might be worth getting someone in the trade to give you their opinion.

If you cannot get a reply, then your only option might be the small claims court. You will need an expert opinion for this i.e. someone in the trade who can say it is substandard.

Worth doing what GG says too.

Good luck with it

Tony