Any other chicken owners out there?

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
Hi,

Just thought I would ask if there were any more people with their own chickens. We've had Cagney and Lacey for almost 3 years now and they are the best egg layers in town! Not so hot on the crime fighting mind.

They are funny little things and keep us entertained when they run around the garden after eachother. It's a great feeling in the mornings eating your boiled egg knowing that it was laid fresh that very morning. If anyone is interested in getting chickens and wants to know a bit more, let me know. I thoroughly recommend it!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
No Chickens

I don't have any chickens, but the cat would love one... I have heard about those Eggloo things and seem to make it all quite manageable.

Tony

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
Out stupid cats are scared of the chickens and creep slowly round them doing that thing where they believe they are invisible if they move really slowly. :D

We've got an Eglu and it's great. The outlay is steep at about £350 for the Eglu, run, and chickens. But I reckon they have almost paid for themselves with their egg production. They only cost about £7 a month in feed and hay. You can get an Egg Cube now that houses 10 chickens! Bit ambitious!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Silly me, I suppose that's why the farm cats don't all the chickens. Do the Eglu things (I know how to spell now) smell. I know my parents-in-law live near a chicken farm and when the wind is in the wrong direction it really small awful. How much effort is involved in cleaning - I guess they don't do it themselves.

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
There is not much smell at all. We let ours run around a lot so they don't create a great deal of mess in their house. The grass where their run is is destroyed though as they do like to tear things up. We clean ours out once a week which just involves taking out their roosting bars and hosing it out inside. It's all plastic so it's really easy. Then you just chuck in the hay and it's done.

It's funny when you get the odd fox pop round for a nose. They can't work out how to get at the chickens and then just sit there looking in. Fox TV! :D