second hand engines

andyg

Feb 25, 2009
Hi
recently my bmw engine blew up.rather than scrap it i decided to buy a replacement engine,i spoke to one dealer of 2nd hand engines and agreed to buy for £750 with 3 months warranty, when it arrived at my local garage the mechanic said in 30 years he's never seen an engine stripped so bare.When i complained to the dealer he said it was stripped to make sure everything was checked to be in working order.I instructed my mechanic to rebuild this engine taking bits off my old engine to add to the new one,this cost me an additional £ 200 on top of the £400 quoted to fit .When the new engine was fitted oil poured out the Head as the engine was faulty.The dealer has agreed to send out a replacement engine but this will mean my mechanic will have to remove all the bits and engine plus hes got to do it all over again taking the labour cost to £1,200 all as a result of the faulty engine. The dealer has refused to pay anything towards these fitting costs.Have i got any rights under law to claim these costs back?

milbro007

Jun 20, 2011
Cornwall
Hi Tony
I wonder if you can give me some advice please?
I bought a VW Transporter T5 last july from Swansea Van Centre and within a few months we had big problems with it.
Eventually just a few days before Xmas my partner was driving it and it broke down after a load of smoke and loss of power just before a roundabout.
Swansea Van Centre wanted me to drive it hundreds of miles to their place at my expense and offered to pay a few quid towards the repair but obviously they didn't really want to know as they had my £8000 from me and that was it.
They promised to sort me out with an extended warranty to cover the massive garage bill etc but that never happened and in the end the bloke just stopped returning my calls.
I ended up taking it to a local garage in Camborne callled Treverbyn Motors to let them try and fix it and they had it for nearly 2 months and basically replaced the turbo and charged me £1060 for my troubles.
The chap there said that he thought my engine could go at anytime so i would probably need a new one.
Within 200 miles of driving it the turbo went again and when i asked him to look at it he said he would but he wanted to charge me to take a look at it to which i was very surprised and quite annoyed.
He then tried saying that he told me NOT to drive the van which was totally untrue and told me to ring Midland Turbo's direct and deal with them as i was rude to his receptionist but to be honest that's another story again.
Then he said that if Midland turbos rang him he would tell them that he told me not to drive the van hence invalidating my 12 month warranty i got with the turbo.
Suprisingly enough Midland Turbo's collected the turbo and when i rang them to enquire about the repair they said they wanted £240 from me as the repair wasn't covered by the warranty.
What a surprise!!!
I had no choice so i paid the money.
Then i registered with find-a-part Used Car Parts | Find a Part[/url] to find a replacement engine for my van.
I was contacted by a company called Green Engines in Birmingham and they said they had the perfect engine for me from a damaged 2007 T5 with only 47k on the clock.
I thought this was the answer to my problems so i paid the £915 directly into their account and after nearly two months of chasing them my engine arrived upside down at my designated garage.
After further inspection my mechanic discovered many more problems like the turbo was no good and there were bolts missing from the sump and the main crankshaft was very loose.
I tried ringing Green Engines and kept getting their answerphone so i left around 20 messages and now when i ring them all their phone does is carry on ringing.
I am REALLY worried i may have lost my money and my work van and soon my livelihood as i am a plumber and need my van for my work.
Could you please advise me on what i can do to find these robbers who have taken money i didn't really have?
Ive reported all this to trading Standards but im not sure what they can do if they cant find these people.
Please help me if you can??????

thanks

Simon.