Laundry - Saving Time and Money

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
Okay, this might have been obvious to some people, but I was looking at the back of my Fairy detergent tablets yesterday and they were suggesting I use 2 or 3 in each wash. I started to wonder what would happen if I totally rebelled and used 1 tablet instead. This might shock you, but the result was exactly the same! Clean and fresh clothes! I feel I have been duped for so long! :D

I then put everything on a quick wash with 1 tablet and again everything came out fine. No stains, no smells. In fact everything was fresh as a daisy. So not only have I halved my detergent bill, but also my washing time, not to mention the savings on electric. My washing machine doesn't have a cold setting so this is the next best thing.

I guess I just got stuck in the routine of using the same cycle with the recommended amount of detergent without really thinking what I was doing. Well, hope this helps someone! :)

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
That's really odd, just today I was looking at a box of washing powder tablets and wondering whether I really needed to use two, or whether it was just a scam to make me buy more washing powder. I chickened out and used two, but next time I will stick with one. The revolution starts here - quake in your boots, Daz et al!

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I did read somewhere that you can use quite tiny amounts and not notice the difference! I think I owuld vary it according to the soiling level (sorry - that sounds a bit eeewwww!!). Like shampoo - I only ever do one work through unless my hair is full of product (like all the wax on my Mohican) (lol! only joking)

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I'm embarrassed to say this here really as I know you will all already do this if you have the space, but I have only just put up a washing line!! I love it. I am so pleased not to be putting my clothes in the drier from an eco and financial point of view. With three young children the amount of washing and drying I have to do is pretty scary! And I have also minimised the amount of washing powder (did that a while ago you'll all be pleased to hear) and it doesn't make any difference which is great.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I have never in my life owned a tumble dryer! My first baby wore nothing but real terry nappies, and yet somehow I managed! Okay for a few hours each week the rads might be draped, but that was a small inconvenience compared to the cost in money and ecology of running a TD. There is nothing as pleasurable as the sight and sound of washing snapping in the wind! Also the kids had 'play' clothes that got pretty grubby before they went in the wash - 'clean' dirt only of course, not bodily eeeew! stuff, but muddy knees on trousers could carry over for a few days!

Jostar

Sep 20, 2010
www.postgoldforcash.com
I use minimal washing powder too, also i buy concentrated washing up liquid and use teeny amounts - works a treat! I love hanging my clothes outside they smell so much fresher than cramped into a TD for half an hour.

nobblybobbly

Oct 15, 2010
denpeds on wether you live close to a river or not, lol.... half an hour outside and our washing reeks :( lol